Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3" lift on my Brat

bratman18

I'm in the process of lifting my brat 3 inches and was curious if I had to do anything to my shift linkage?!? I have a 5 spd D/R in it already if that makes a difference? I was told I didn't but the reason I'm asking is because when I dropped the front cross member and three bolt plate/tranny mount It seemed to move back a little and it really took some persuasion to get it foward again to bolt back up. So any body who has any tips in the lift process that would be great! Thanks!

alright well i got everything bolted up but from the bottom there is a little rubber mount attached to the back of the shifter linkage which bolts up to the body with a 12mm nut, I disconnected that and now it really doesn't reach to go back. the shifters seam to work ok so does this need to be bolted back up?!?!

are you running Jerry's kit with the 5 speed to use the stock linkageand 4wd shifter?

if not, you should be fine. I have a 5" lift (though less at the tranny crossmember, and I just have stock 5 speed D/R linkage, with zero problems.

(82 Brat)

the back part of the linkage with the rubber block I have bolted to the body still. I believe if the rubber part seperates, it makes it difficult/impossible to get into some of the gears... at least I read that on here, so I drilled a hole through both metal plates, and the rubber block, and have a nylocked bolt loosely tightened through them just to keep them together so I don't "lose" them on the trail.

are you running Jerry's kit with the 5 speed to use the stock linkageand 4wd shifter?

if not, you should be fine. I have a 5" lift (though less at the tranny crossmember, and I just have stock 5 speed D/R linkage, with zero problems.

(82 Brat)

the back part of the linkage with the rubber block I have bolted to the body still. I believe if the rubber part seperates, it makes it difficult/impossible to get into some of the gears... at least I read that on here, so I drilled a hole through both metal plates, and the rubber block, and have a nylocked bolt loosely tightened through them just to keep them together so I don't "lose" them on the trail.

I have more of a home made custom shift linkage made by a friend of mine. Yes it has the stock shifters inside and those attach to the 5 spd tranny. The rubber block would fit but it would be very stretched backwards to go back on so what could i do about that? Right now it feels like all the gears shift fine but that might be different when actually driving which is impossible because I have the motor pulled for headgaskets. But keep the hints or solutions coming!! Thanks

Yeah I tried again and if I pull back hard on the rubber mount it will slide back into its bolt but that little rubber block is stretched hard and I don't think it would last long like that so any ideas or comments would be awesome!!! thanks:confused:

When I put the D/R 5 speed in my Hatchback..........I got rid of the rubber block and just welded up a solid braket.