Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newb to the old, have a few questions

Ioku

So I know a lot about the newer 90’s and up subie’s but not much about the old ones. I have a 95 impreza and I am thinking of getting a hatch for my off road vehicle, but have a few questions about them, first what sort of drive line do they came with do they come in a 5 speed, and do they come with a high low 4wd. Also how dose the 4wd work do these older Subaru’s, do they use a transfer case like other 4wd’s, and when they are not in 4wd are they rear wheel drive or front wheel drive.

first what sort of drive line do they came with do they come in a 5 speed, and do they come with a high low 4wd.

Various:

STD models: EA71 (1.6 liter), 4 speed FWD or 4 speed single range (S/R) 4WD (no low gear).

DL models: EA81 (1.8 liter), 5 speed FWD, or 4 speed S/R 4WD.

GL models: EA81 (1.8 liter), 5 speed FWD, 4 speed dual range (D/R) 4WD. (high and low gear), 3AT FWD, or 3AT S/R push-button 4WD.

All models (STD, GL, DL) were made from 1981 to 1989. The 1980 hatch's would have been very simlar but they didn't have the EA81 yet.

Also how dose the 4wd work do these older Subaru’s, do they use a transfer case like other 4wd’s

Works exactly like it does on a newer Subaru, just doesn't have a center diff or VC. It's locked 50/50 power split just like a 4WD truck. There is no seperate transfer case - it's a transaxle just like you are used to.

and when they are not in 4wd are they rear wheel drive or front wheel drive.

FWD.

There are many upgrade paths you can take with the EA81 body's. EJ22's are getting popular. 5 speed D/R from the EA82 body is also popular.

The EA81 is a pushrod engine - no overhead cams, no timing belts. They came carbed with 73 HP for all hatchback models. MPFI turbo versions were made but not in the hatchback body and they are both extremely rare and difficult to source parts for. For off-road it's the EA81 or the EJ22 that you want. Other options are not as reliable or suitable to the conditions.

GD

Hey, Welcome to the Forum!

The 80s model Subarus did come with manual transmissions. They were either FWDs, Part-Time 4WD(Push Button 4WD), and Fulltime 4WD configurations. To the best of my knowledge, the FT4WD tranny came with a hi-lo option(which the gears are engaged via levers). If I'm incorrect, someone will chime in and correct me. They do not have transfer cases, but rather a center differential which is located near the tail of the transmission housing. It is engaged by a switch, which in turns activates a vacuum solenoid that locks the diff to transfer an equal(or as close to equal) 50/50 power front and rear. The PT4WD transmission is primarily a FWD when the center diff is not engaged. Basically, the rear wheels free wheel while not in use. But with the push of a button(pun intended) it performs similarly to the FT4WD. I hope that helps to answer your question.

Patrick

Fulltime 4WD configurations.

FT4WD (not to be confused with AWD, which is different for Subaru), was a Turbo and XT6 model thing and only from 87 through 90. The EA81's, including the hatchback were never offered with FT4WD. They are FWD or PT4WD only.

And PT4WD has NO center diff of any kind. On hard surfaces you must run in 2WD or you will bind in tight turns just like a 4WD truck.

GD

FT4WD (not to be confused with AWD, which is different for Subaru), was a Turbo and XT6 model thing and only from 87 through 90. The EA81's, including the hatchback were never offered with FT4WD. They are FWD or PT4WD only.

And PT4WD has NO center diff of any kind. On hard surfaces you must run in 2WD or you will bind in tight turns just like a 4WD truck.

GD

Ah so! Thank you for clearing that up. I honestly did not know that. I mean, I knew about only being able to run the PT4WD tranny in 2WD on the road, but I didn't know about the rest. Thanks man, you rock!:headbang:

Patrick

No problem.

I've owned a few (currently three) so the knowledge is necessary to be able to order parts and to find what I need at the junk yards.

If you haven't looked at them the brochures in the "Subaru's of the 80's" section on the home-page are very useful.

GD

Cool, I'll go and check them out. Thanks again.

Patrick

Thanks for the info, so hatches never came with the 5 speed D/R 4wd, is installing one like most Subaru things, just bolt it in?

Not exactly but close, You will be able to find info in other forums on here but heres a short version! You can bolt the tranny onto the motor but have to combine the two tranny crossmember to make one, then you have to use a driveshaft out of your 5 spd dual range donor car and build a center bearing mount for the driveshaft. Then combine the shift linkages. There are a few more details but thats the most of it but its very much worth the time and effort!!!