Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I have an 02 Legacy L,auto, I bought last August that was a one-owner trade-in with 98k miles. Since buying, I have replaced the front and rear brakes,plugs,wires,tuned up, timing belt and tensioner--all general maintenance work that was due. The car runs great, I'm even getting better than manufacturer listed mileage, about 25 combined town/hiway and 30 hiway with 127k on it now. I'm being told by my trusted mechanic and the dealer there is leaking from the valve stems that is not detectable from under the car at oil chnage time, but is causing the car to lose about a quart per 3k miles.From what I've read on this site and other places is that this is a common Subaru problem.My concern is if this is something that should be addressed sooner rather than later and to what amount of work and money will this entail? I've put about $1500 out for the work I've done so far and I don't want to jeopordize the money I've invested in it. I hope to keep it long enough to be my 14 year old daughter's first car. Any advice?

are they absolutely sure it's valve stem seals - that's actually not common for Subaru's. but if you're not seeing anything under the car....

anyway, this is not a big deal and shouldn't cause any particular problems. just make sure you keep checking the oil. actually 1 quart per 3,000 miles is within the "limits" of oil consumption anyway by the Subaru specs.

personally i would guess you'll get 100,000 miles out of it as-is and will probably incur other issues first.

Hi,

I have an 02 Legacy L,auto, I bought last August that was a one-owner trade-in with 98k miles. Since buying, I have replaced the front and rear brakes,plugs,wires,tuned up, timing belt and tensioner--all general maintenance work that was due. The car runs great, I'm even getting better than manufacturer listed mileage, about 25 combined town/hiway and 30 hiway with 127k on it now. I'm being told by my trusted mechanic and the dealer there is leaking from the valve stems that is not detectable from under the car at oil chnage time, but is causing the car to lose about a quart per 3k miles.From what I've read on this site and other places is that this is a common Subaru problem.My concern is if this is something that should be addressed sooner rather than later and to what amount of work and money will this entail? I've put about $1500 out for the work I've done so far and I don't want to jeopordize the money I've invested in it. I hope to keep it long enough to be my 14 year old daughter's first car. Any advice?

..No real advice here, but I would say keep a "close" eye on the oil level...I was going to ask the same question on behalf of someone else..she has about the same mileage on her 2002 2.5L car but is useing far more oil then you... the car has been taken to the dealer several times and the mechanics are left scratching their heads..no noticable oil leaks anywhere...also try to establish for future reference a base line for oil consumption and if possible contact the previous (hopfully honest) owner..just maybe it has always from new condition consumed oil...

Right on, grossgary. I would check the PCV valve before messing with anything else.

Ditto.

Valve seal caused oil burning = very uncommon

Piston ring caused oil burning = very uncommon

PCV valve caused oil burning = ridiculously common

Get a new PCV valve from a subaru dealer (aftermarket ones don't work) for $12 and try it. If that's not the problem, you're only out twelve bucks and ten minutes of install time. If it fixes it, :headbang: .

If the PCV doesnt work try synthetic oil in a 10W30 Mobil 1. Synthetic is harder to burn than conventional. More expensive but if you arent having to add oil and if it works it would be cheaper in the end. Best deal is Wal-Mart at around $21 for a 4 quart jug last I checked. This is slightly thicker than the manual will recommend but give it a try. It has worked for a few of my customers.