Ultimate Subaru Message Board

using doughnut spare wheels

Wirebrush

Has anyone used 4 of the 15" "doughnut" spare wheels and a tall, narrow off road tire on the older EA81 cars? It seems like it would work great for the kind of wheeling I do and without power steering the skinny tires would be easier to turn. Mickey Thompson makes a 27" tire that can be mounted on a 4" wide rim, but there is a disclaimer stating it is for off road use only. Finding the wheels may be easier than finding Pugs and the skinny tires should be great for mileage and cutting through the snow and mud without bogging down too.

I used the 2 wheel drive 14'' wheels on my old ea82 and beat the crap out it and never had any issues i continued to use the car as my daily driver and never had any problems! A friend of mine used them on his as well and was even harder on them than I was and never had any issues! We always used a little bit wider rim and never had any rim pinching problems so my experience of prolonged use was excellent!!! This was before I found my :headbang: pug rims and wanted bigger tires!