Ultimate Subaru Message Board

key broke inside ignition

on my legacy, if you remove the center console/armrest there is a shift lock release under a plastic phillips screw at the top of the shifter. remove the plastic plug and push down inside this should release the shifter and allow you to move it to neutral.

As far as removing the key switch i'm unsure, on an old yota i had i got lucky it broke off flush, so i put vaseline around the hole, and loctite on the other key part and held it there for 5 min, and slowly removed the key, the vaseline keeps the glue off the sides of the key hole.

Best of luck.

there's a prety good chance you can turn the ignition with a screwdriver or the like with the broken part of the key in the keyway. if so drive to a locksmith, ideally one who knows subarus. they can remove the keyway pretty easily with the key in it. and then remove the key and remake.

if you can't get the ignition to turn, then maybe an onsite service call from a locksmith. that will probably be expensive.

if you want info on removing the whole ignition assembly, let me know or do a search. it's not too bad, but lots more work than removing the ignition keyway with the key in it. you can also search for info to do that. but i think a lock smith can do it in 10 - 15 min. or less. (there's a pin on the back side of the keyway you press in when the key is turned. you have to remove the plastic, a pain, on the steering column to see it. a lock smith can probably do it with the right tool and not remove the plastic.) then extract the key and remake.

unfortunately, the key broke off inside.

If you could, I'd love to see info on how to remove the switch.

if you push the key all the way in with a thin screwdriver you may be able to turn it.

these may help

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=642438&postcount=6

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=721115&postcount=6

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=397614&postcount=8

read the links for more info. the upper right corner of each has a link the the complete thread.

removing the broken key is going to be difficult, i think, even after you remove the keyway from the cylinder or the whole ignition assembly from the column. turning it sideways down may help, but you still have to grab the key and pull it out. i don't think it will just fall out, but maybe.

locksmiths must do this all the time, in the car?.

if you want to do this yourself, remove the plastic surrounding the ignition switch. then if you can remove just the keyway from the cylinder that will be easiest, but the key has to turn a little to do this.

removing the whole assembly is a pain because the bolts do not have hex heads they are round dome shaped things with nothing to grab on to.

call a locksmith and find out the cost before you disassemble this thing. you may get into it and find you still need a locksmith. it may be easy for him.

years ago i locked my keys in my datsun truck at the car wash with the engine running. i called the locksmith, he pick the door lock almost faster than i could unlock it with a key. he charged me 21$, 1$ for unlocking it, 20$ for being stupid. this was before 1985. i'm smarter now.

Edited by johnceggleston