Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 turbo motor. Whats it worth

A friend of mine has Legacy turbo wagon that the keyway on the crank for the harmonic balancer is all screwed up and the balancer wont stay on. His plan is to weld it on, which I told him was a bad idea, and if that doesnt work is going to sell it for scrap. Is the engine worth anything like this and does anyone know if na and turbos engines use the same crank shaft?

If u know someone that can tig weld, that keyway is fixable. I myself have welded a few EJ22 N/A motors back together like such.

its kinda hard to do, but considering its a ODB 1 engine, the ecu controls the timing so a 1/8" isnt really going to make too much of a difference. I've also JB welded the keyways back into place when I didnt have access to a tig welder.

it all comes down to how far it stripped the crank. A picture is worth a grand if u can get one for us :lol:

dave - not worth scrapping it for. there's a kit made by a company to fix this actually. it's expensive but worth it to avoid scrapping a good car or welding.

if by welding you mean welding the pulley to the crank that's a very bad idea in my opinion. if you mean fixing the crank to properly attach the pulley then go for it if you have the resources to do it. for what it's worth on the EJ22's it's possible to change the timing belts without removing the crank pulley, so if he does decide to weld it, just tell him to leave the covers off...or at least the center cover, then the timing belt is changeable. if doing this, i'd go ahead and replace the pulley to the upper right with a new one since that won't be replaceable with a "fixed" crank pulley.

The crank is the same as all the other 2.2's so you can just pick up a used crank and install it rather than try to weld it.

The EJ22 turbo block is the strongest block subaru ever made. It's worth more than scrap if you decide to sell it. If you decide to scrap it I will buy it for a fair price, I want one for my wrx.