Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Advice-To fix or not to fix-Blown Front Differential

I am not sure if I should fix it. I guess I would do a tranny swap. I found one for $400 then $500 labor. It had a major diff fluid leak(seals?) when I was on a long trip and I tried to get back home. It was whining loud and I pulled into a rest area then it blew. Here is the deal...It is a 1996 Legacy wagon 2.2L Automatic AWD with 491,000miles on it. Do you think it would be worth fixing? or do I give up on it and junk it? Any advice would be helpful. Especailly about unforseen problems when installing a used tranny. Thanks.

ps-Anybody interested in buying it if I don't fix it? Best offer.

I just had the same problem with my 96 legacy outback but nowhere near those miles. after many hours of "friendly persuasion" :lol: trying to separate the differential with chisels, screwdrivers, a sledgehammer, and anything else that came to hand in my frustration i decided to get a used tranny from a junkyard. if you have the patience it is possible to separate it (i took it to a machine shop after the fact) but you have to ask yourself if it is really worth it.

(lower miles preferably)
ha ha!!!

491,000 miles sounds way high for dumping another $1,000 into. i've picked up a bunch of nice legacy's between 95-97 for about the same price that were in excellent running condition.

hard to say without knowing the condition, but if it needs much of anything else i think i'd be moving on.

and you are correct, the proper way to fix this is to replace the transmission. subaru transmissions are reliable enough that installing a used one is typically a good option.

Thanks everybody. Still on the fence but leaning toward dumping it or parting it out. I wish I could do the tranny myself. I have done just about everything else to it. For a another $1000 I could get one with 1/3 the miles. It does need more work too. Nothing major. Needs an AC compressor and charge. Bottom oil pan leaks. Needs brakes and 2 tires. Tie rod needs replacing. Shocks have never been replaced. Body is in good shape besides a few minor indents.

only you know your full situation but what you're saying makes sense to me. seems the money spent on the tie rod, tires, oil leaks, a/c, engine repairs could probably be just as easily put into a newer car with fewer big ticket items. and if you get another car, then doing a complete tune up (timing belt and seals) isn't a costly ordeal.

<<It does need more work too. Nothing major. Needs brakes and 2 tires.>>

that might be the reason you need a new tranny! AWD vehicles need to have the same tread depth. how bad are the tires?

nice call mike. speaking on which, i'll add that i've seen 4EAT problems go away with a new set of matching tires. it was shifting erratically, particularly noticeable at slow speeds. new tires solved it.