Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's tire time....

Time for some new sneakers for the '86 BRAT, my DD.

13's are getting far and few between, although I have found some at tire rack and another local discount store.

I do have the nessecities here to do a 6-lug swap using 15" 'Yota rims also.

So,, my question is.... Just what size 15" tire works with no lift?

I've searched,,, and got lost..:-\

According to the tire size calulator on subarubrat's site, a 205/70/R15 is roughly 26", where the stock 185/70/R13 is 23", so a 1.5" decrease in clearance to fender/frame areas known to be issues.

Will I be good to go with no use of BFH?

I'd rather beat the snot out of it out on the road/trails than up on jackstands.....

Just ran a 195/65/R15 thru the calc, and it gives a 24.9" size, quick search of the tire site and there's 25 listings for that size.

That would give roughly 1" less clearance to obstruction/rubbing issues over stock, or a gain of a 1/2" over the previous tires I listed. Better, Yes?

Went with the stock tire size. Found 5 185/70-R13's at a neaby WAL*MART, had 4 mounted on some "H" style rims I got from Jim (86subaru). Just under $230.00 out the door, lifetime road hazard/rotate/balance. (I'll be getting the 5th come payday, mounted on a plain-Jane steel rim). Don't recall actuall tire name, but they're a Douglas Brand, A/W tread design, somewhat aggressive, but not to much as in an actuall snow tire type tread. We'll see how they do on the trip into work tomorrow, it's my week to drive and they're forcasting snow. Maybe only 2", but could be more, we'll see. (Got that Lake-Effect thing around these parts).

I'm just glad to be rid of the one bent rim, one busted belt that was on there, (same side even). Should've got tires sooner, yes... But money was the issue, other things had more priority, plus I had other means of getting where I needed to get.