Ultimate Subaru Message Board

want a new exhaust. ideas?

ok so my exhaust is falling apart. i have an 87 dl wagon 1.8l carbed. i want to get rid of the cat and install a y-pipe. also need to replace from the cat back. does anyone make a y-pipe for this car? what about a catback for it?

i have a y-pipe for it...its a factory one

Hi This is Jerry, if you don't have to have your check by the state well you can make a set of side pipes like i did on my hatch back. Yes it's a hot rod well a little hot rod. I really like it and the sound it puts out people look around like where the heck is that comming from. I smile :brow: and give the thumbs up ok i am cool.:banana: Thanks Jerry

I always run a cat, car just smells better and what's the reason to rip it out, they're not usually a restriction. So having a cat in affects the tone of the exhaust.

The best combonation I've found is a cherry bomb as a resonater in front of the back axle, and a flowmaster 40 series in the normal muffer spot with a short tailpipe out the back. The cherry bomb was too loud by it's self, and the flowmaster was louder than the cherry bomb believe it or not. The two of them combined sounds nice. It's got a good burble to it at idle, and sounds great at WOT.

i am planning on running a y-pipe after the cat in my brat and then having the pipes come out either side behind the cab area. basically where the side steps are on the brat behind the doors. im sure you could do the same thing on your wagon and just run the pipes under the rocker.

but it all depends on what you are going for as well. i personally love to hear the exhaust note over the buzzy hopnda next to me in traffic, :lol:

i am planning on running a y-pipe after the cat in my brat and then having the pipes come out either side behind the cab area. basically where the side steps are on the brat behind the doors. im sure you could do the same thing on your wagon and just run the pipes under the rocker.

I was looking at doing this but realized it would be tough to get support hangers where you need them to make it work. Also, I'm not sure what it would sound like popping out both sides. I think it would sound like a 2-stroke or otherwise might not sound as good as you hope it would.

how far are you from maryland? id like to take a look in person at the work you have done. did you do the exhaust yourself or did you take it to a shop?

About 125 miles north of you on I-81 in Pottsville. I work in Harrisburg which isn't too far from Frederick. Just a quick ride up Rt. 15 to I-83. I haven't taken this to work yet and probably won't until I get it painted in a couple of weeks. I'm usually around home on weekends if you want to take a ride up. This weekend if its warm enough outside I'll be prepping it for paint.

A friend of mine does exhaust work at his garage. He did the install for me. I just told him what I wanted.

i might have to make that trip some time, not sure about this weekend though, going out to play paintball.:banana:

might have to do some cutting a rewelding to get the exhaust to come out the sides on my brat, i think there is a support peice behind the rocker section that the side steps are located on. but i should be able to drill out the spot welds on that and move it back about 3"-4" to make room for the mufflers to mount up. i am actually using a dual cansiter muffler that i used to have on my impreza, basically, its two small mufflers side by side with a small y-pipe and some brackets holing them together. should sound just fine when done.

About 125 miles north of you on I-81 in Pottsville. I work in Harrisburg which isn't too far from Frederick. Just a quick ride up Rt. 15 to I-83. I haven't taken this to work yet and probably won't until I get it painted in a couple of weeks. I'm usually around home on weekends if you want to take a ride up. This weekend if its warm enough outside I'll be prepping it for paint.

A friend of mine does exhaust work at his garage. He did the install for me. I just told him what I wanted.