Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD Convertion in my Hatch?

Pooparu

I have a 1982 Subaru Hatchback with an EJ22 swap. What I'd like to do is to convert the drivetrain to AWD. Right now I have and EA82 D/R 5 speed 4WD in it. So What I'd like to do is make a list of everything I need to get for the swap so I can start to stock pile all the parts to do the swap this spring. That's where you guys come in.

thanks, earl

With either transmissions, you'll need custom axles. The NA 5spd D/R has different number of splines from the AWD/FT4WD transmissions.

I'd suggest getting an EJ transmission. The Viscous center diff works great.

Fitment might be tough though, and you would need another custom driveshaft.

to swap in the RX tranny all you will need is a matching 3.7 rear diff and turbo axles. N/A axles are 23 spline on the diff end, and turbos are 25 spline. EJ axles are also 25 spline, except fwd Imprezas, which are 23 spline. the EA hubs are the same on turbo and non-turbo, so all you need is the axles and rear diff to match the tranny. Oh and youll have to mount the vacuum solenoids for the Diff lock too, but thats easy. Other than that, its all bolt in, since you already have a 5spd D/R in, nothing has to be custom made.

-Bill

hard but not really hard?

an XT6 transmission would be nice as well with a 3.9 final drive verses the RX 3.7.

another route to avoid the axle issue is to just swap in Turbo front hubs then you can use turbo axles.

FWIW...

What I have noticed is that even though the RX has a higher diff gear ratio, the tranny's final drive ratio is actually numerically higher than a regular N/A 5 speed D/R. Example, my RX cruises at 55 mph in Hi range with the motor reving at a little over 2750 RPM. It has the RX FT4WD with diff lock and 3.7 diffs. My moms GL wagon, with 5 speed d/r and 3.9 diffs, at 55 mph revs about 2600 RPM.

-Bill

Just a note, I don't know if its the same on the d/r RX tranny, but I swapped an s/r turbo ft4wd in my EA82 wagon(was d/r4wd) and that shifter is too long. It'll go in 1st and 3rd but not 5th. Currently running a 2wd XT shifter.

I've got Jerry's kit so I don't think the shifters will be a problem. Aren't the EA82 axles longer then the EA81 axles? Do you think I could swap the stubs from my 5sp 4WD front diff over to the RX front diff or will the extra length on the axles matter?

I've got Jerry's kit so I don't think the shifters will be a problem. Aren't the EA82 axles longer then the EA81 axles? Do you think I could swap the stubs from my 5sp 4WD front diff over to the RX front diff or will the extra length on the axles matter?

Oh crapsicles, i forgot about that...:-\ I think you would then have to get EA81 Turbo axles, but I dunno what the spline count is on those, youll have to ask an EA81T guru. Otherwise you could lengthen the control arms just enough to give you the track width of an EA82, then put EA82 knuckles on, they will bolt in, no modifications. OR you can build hybrid axles, use the Turbo EA82 DOJ on your EA81 axles.

-Bill

another route to avoid the axle issue is to just swap in Turbo front hubs then you can use turbo axles.

correction

there is no difference at the hub-end of NA v turbo EA82 axles.

EA82 axles will not work without hefty modification on an EA81 car.

also, EA81t axles are still 23 spline.

there's probably a way to put 25-spline DOJ cups on EA81 axles.

Edited by Numbchux

there's probably a way to put 25-spline DOJ cups on EA81 axles.

Cobcob was actually looking into this. He's found a race that should mate the EA82T cup to an EA81 axle. I'm not sure what the current status of this research/experiment is though.

the only thing I can think of is that the RX is a hard lock, not a viscous LSD like the EJ trans. I really dont think it would make much of a difference, the hatch is so light that with that kind of power youre gonna get wheelspin if you dump the clutch and try to launch. I havent had any problem with hooking up in my RX, but I dont have 130+ hp... Yet :grin:

-Bill

I was also talking with Matt and he was saying that the RX transmission wouldn't hook up as good as the EJ transmission. (traction wise) I just want my hatch to go when I take off, not just spin out.

I spin the front tires a lot when exiting corners under power on pavement (can't lock the center...). I'd definitely recommend the EJ one.

I'd hate to go through the cost and trouble of installing an RX transmission and not get the results I'm looking for. So at this point I should start looking in the direction of swapping an EJ transmission in. I know it's going to be a lot more work and money, but in the end it will be worth it.

i am also going with the ej 5 spd trans.for different reasons...but what is all this talk about it being expensive?and more work?

get the crossmember when you get the tranny and build whatever you have to between the existing mounting points.i don't think it will be bad at all.this tranny is my next,next purchase.

i will keep an eye out for you as well.i get trannies out of the yard up here for 55 bucks.the diffs are 27 so possibly for under a hundie you could be into the gear.i am sure that we could relay it down to you if need be.cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru
addition and subtraction

Hell ya that would be cool. You or at least I still need to buy axles, clutch, flywheel and a drive line after getting the rear end & the transmission. I could make up some of the money by selling my EA82 5sp Transmission with Jerry's kit and a drive line to someone interested in doing that swap into their Brat or Hatch. I'm going to keep the EJ swap stuff for my 78 BRAT.

i am also going with the ej 5 spd trans.for different reasons...but what is all this talk about it being expensive?and more work?

get the crossmember when you get the tranny and build whatever you have to between the existing mounting points.i don't think it will be bad at all.this tranny is my next,next purchase.

i will keep an eye out for you as well.i get trannies out of the yard up here for 55 bucks.the diffs are 27 so possibly for under a hundie you could be into the gear.i am sure that we could relay it down to you if need be.cheers, brian

i have a clutch and flywheel already,do not need axles due to a transfer case,and will have to deal with drivelines of a different monster anyway.

i will be checking out trannies this week.there is supposedly one out there right now.i need someone to buy my weber!i will try an keep you updated.do not be afraid to pm me.i may not have the capital to pull the tranny before you have the funds so i will let you know.cheers, brian