Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to USMB

Hello USMB, Im new to the Forum, I am a proud owner of a great condition

88' GL 4wd wagon. I aspire for this car to look and preform like an amature rally car. Here are some ideas I plan for:

-Flat black (or camo green) paint

-Sti style hood scoop

-Cold air intake

-yellow subaru rally decals

-6 lug conversion

-Front and rear steel bumbers w/ off-road hella 500's

I am fairly good at mechanican, plus i live next door to a subaru guru!

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated to help this car be a beast on dirt roads (Budget is limited). It's great to be apart of the USMB and i will be talkin to yall soon.=)

The main thing that I have found that makes the Subaru's bad as a rally car is POWER... They lack it to death. You have heaps of control in 4wd on dirt, even with std tyres. But there just inst the go to get good power slides going.

For a decent power up you pretty much have to go to a EJ engine.

Welcome!

The best thing to do first is figure out what you want to do and where you want to go with your GL. There are big differences between an off road rig from a rally rig. Off road, beefy bumpers are nice to push, pull, and tow from. But if you want it to perform like an "amateur rally car" you might not want heavy bumpers. A good basic roll cage would serve you more purpose, keep you safer, a place to anchor harness, and stiffen up that chassis for better handling.

Your 88GL all ready has a factory "Cold Air Intake". It pulls from the passenger side wheel well. You can remove the snorkel/silencer from the back side of the air filter box in the fender. May sound a bit more throaty but won't give you too much of a gain, maybe a little. You could also put on a turbo muffler, less restricting.

With an EA82 engine there is not much you can do to squeeze any more horse power out of it. Guys here have gone with a Webber Carb set up instead of fuel injection. But if you are all ready SPFI you might as well keep it. Really if you want to see any gains you can cut weight on your car. Get rid of the back seat, all interior cushy crap, head liner, carpet, etc..., get rid of stereo, speakers(those magnets are heavy), etc...

Then if you are still feeling a little slow swap in an EJ22 engine.

I really love my EA82 wagon for wheelin especially with the Hi/Low tranny in it makes for a great off roader. And I too want to build up a fun Rally Cross car in the future. But I think the best way, if you are serious about getting into a rally set up and on a budget, would be to find an old GC impreza that is AWD and 5SPD from '93-'01(what ever the budget allows) and use that as your competition platform. You can find a decent one on craigslist for around $1500. This is what I have found from asking around from rally competitors and the route I am thinking of going.

Also I think that Rally America has lifted the requirements for a starter competitor to allow for an AWD Impreza as long as its a NA 1.8L engine, could be wrong though... any one else know for sure?

Hope this helps, feel free to ask around and search. Good wealth of info here!

Welcome to the board. I agree with the last poster. The last thing you want to do when runnin rally cross is put heavy bumpers on the thing. Not offroading is another thing. The factory bumpers are fine for mounting lights. On the power aspect as well again last poster hit it spot on. Although the engines are great for what these cars are ment for to do anyhthing else with them (upgrade them etc) is futile. Even the ea82 turbo which comes in these vehicles is lacking in aspects as well. If your just looking for something to play around in then i say do a couple upgrades and leave it be. Im looking into a suspension setup that you might find interesting for a lowering aspect. There are wheel upgrades but you either need to go pug for 4 lug or do the 6lug swap which is what i can see you doing. Now if you want serious rally ability then you need to swap engines, but thats a whole other bunch of bananas:banana:

Oh and buy the way.

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Thanks for the replies, i forgot to mention this is my daily driver lol. My main goal for this car is to really just to have fun in the woods on the weekends doing rally type stuff, not really participate in rally event's (would love to if i got a hold of a impreza/legacy sedan or sumthin). The air box mod sounds sweet, ill give it a look at.=) And Ill post some pics within the weekend. thx