Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Super Slow to Start '85 GL

I realize that cold weather makes the start up more difficult but I have been having to hold the key in the start position,starter cranking, for several seconds, then back to off, then in start position again for several seconds, repeating this for a minute or more before the car will even fire up. It'll then sputter dead, and I have to let it crank for a while more, fire up, die. It starts eventually, after cranking for minutes. I remember it used to start up, and increase engine speed until the gas is depressed, it doesn't do this any more even after it does start.

I am admittedly ignorant about carbs, etc, but would appreciate any input anyone can offer. Like the title says, it is an '85 GL with a 3 speed auto, I believe an ea82 but I am ready to stand corrected on this too.

Help please!

yeah, that process, but many times is required to get it started. Cranking, depressing gas (while making sure not to flood it), cranking more. I don't know if there could be fuel delivery problems, vacuum line problems somewhere or what. Anyone?

Check to see if the choke is closing all the way. Remove air cleaner, then depress throttle to the floor one time, the choke should snap closed all the way. If not, try spraying carb cleaner on the linkage, it may be gunked up. But most likely a broken spring or wire.

• 3 weeks later...

so the spring mechanism that is designed to automatically engage the choke in cold weather has broken. Now I have to figure out if I can replace the automatic choke with a similar aftermarket one, or one off another subie, or if I should just go with a manual.

Any input on which way to go is welcome.

Yup, I was going to say, that the behaviour sounded exactly like a broken choke.

I can't remember how these are set up (mine always worked, I guess), but a manual choke might not be too hard, and they work very well. On my '76 Mazda truck, it will fire within 3 or 4 seconds of cranking even on zero degree days, if I use the choke. Then, you just have to remember to open the choke before trying to drive it..... more operator responsibility.... but less chance for complicated old parts to break :grin: