Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to the seen

bret92

Just got on this site the last couple of days, and have a question. I have a 92 loyale, got it three years ago. It currently has 250,000 on it, and it is showing it's age. It is perfect for my work car, but it needs an upgrade. Is there a way to bolt a newer 2.0 in, or is the trans hook up completely different? I am trying to get a little more out of the car with out going extreme. The only thing I have done is install a K'N air filter and just kept the maintanance up.

depends how much your time is worth. in my opinion it's not worth it unless you have a ton of time on your hands.

none of the newer engines bolt up without an adapter plate. really no good choices of older motors.

a better and easier upgrade would just be to buy a legacy or impreza. you can get a early to mid 90's one for next to nothing that needs some kind of work like an engine, trans, clutch, hood, or whatever. just start looking around and you'll find one.

with EJ vehicles (imp/leg) you get a better vehicle all the way around, 5 lug hubs that can run nearly any subaru wheels, larger brake options, air bags, anti lock brakes, suspension options all over the place, nicer trim options..there's not much comparison even if you don't like the ABS or SRS.

i personally prefer the 4WD of the loyale than the AWD of the newer stuff. for my uses the older school "locking" center diff transmissions have better traction. other people seem to differ on that though.

Edited by grossgary

Wiring is not that hard.

There are plenty of diagrams available on the internet, there are three people here on the board (myself included) that can do it for your for a dirt cheap price of $200 bucks.

It took me 8 hours on my first harness but my last harness took me less than 5. mostly b/c I ended up chasing a wire that I ended up not having to.

You basically get the wire bundle, lay it out. Look at your diagrams and start at the ECU connector and trace it down to where it terminates. Once you have identified and seperated all of the ECU wires, focus on the plugs coming from the engine harness. There are wires like the oil pressure, temp, voltage, and some others that need to be seperated from the bundle. You are going to end up w/about 1/4 of the harness when you are done and the rest you can keep as scrap wire or recycle for cash.

If you do go the EJ route, there are some really good CD's available on Ebay. I got a copy of the mitchell on demand from Ebay and it has wiring diagrams from 1983 to 2000. :banana:

anyways. Bret92: Go with the lego or imp if you don't the luxury of down time. You can pick one of those up for about $1000 or so depending on year and condition.

BW

lots of stuff about this already on here. check out the sticky at the top of the page with a list of who's done what kind of swap. You can star there, search around for posts by those of us who've done it, and you'll find a TON of information about what we like, what we do with them, and what we'd do different.

FYI, your loyale is an EA82.

it's pretty hard to beat an EJ22-swapped EA82. great mileage (the part-time 4WD '86 that I did this summer got 30-32mpg without too much difficulty), good power, extremely reliable, etc. etc. etc.

Even just for a daily driver!

then, you get into the performance aspects. if you want to start getting into track events (whatever it be, ice racing, Rallycross, Autocross....whatever), you might want to start looking at suspension/brake upgrades, WRX 2.0l turbos (jdm or usdm), 6-cylinders, transmissions, etc. etc. etc.

again, a ton of options and info out there. It's really up to you to decide what you want out of the car, how much you want to spend (time and $$), and how much fabrication you're willing to do to get there.

as for the wiring. in my experience, I've seen a lot of smart people, who understand the concept behind wiring diagrams, stare at them blankly for hours. it really seems that this kind of stuff is one of those things where you got it, or you don't. those of us who can do it, do pretty well at it, and some people just can't make it work.

it is a hurdle, but not a big one. as s'ko has mentioned, there are a number of us (I can think of 6 of us who've done multiple harnesses before and have offered to do it for others, including him and I) who can and probably will do it for you for a relatively small price. and like I've told people emailing me through my website. not everybody can start with an entire harness, and wind up with something that will work, but anybody can hook up the 6-8 wires needed to make one of my harnesses work just like it came from the factory.

Dont be afraid of the wiring for the ej swap! If I did it I'm sure you can too, and there is nothing like the feeling of your ej motor firing up for the first time! :banana::banana::banana:

I'm thinking about finding a 90's loyale and doing another ej swap. There are so many clean ones in my neck of the woods, that I think I'm going to do it.

First I've got to finish doing what grossgary suggested and get my wifes cheap broken impreza back on the road!

Soon as I'm back home from visiting my brother for xmas the impreza will get fixed!

Good luck on your project.

Daniel