Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First off I'm not sure how the AWD system on this car works so I didn't know how to title this thread.I't a 2000 Outback and when the roads are slippery and you go to take off/accelerate the tires start to slip and then you hear or feel a clunk and then the tires grab and start to grip.Any thoughts?

how many miles on the car?

has the transmission fluid ever been changed?

any work done to the engine/trans?

are the tires properly inflated?

do the tires match in type, size, and treat wear?

have they been roated consistently?

this is not all that odd if the car is really spinning out, it's just detecting that slippage and increasing the transfer to the rear.

There are 280,000 kms on the car.It does grab but it is a little delayed though.I am going to change the tranny fluid soon and add some of that K & W industries stop leak trans additive soon as it also have the delayed forward engagement issue as well.Oh well.Maybe it's time for a new one.

if everything else is still fine i wouldn't let this lead you to buy a new one so quickly. this sounds minor to me.

i wouldn't do the trans fluid stop leak additive myself. is it leaking? if the fluid hasn't been changed in 30,000+ miles, just do a simple change and see how it does.

make sure all of your tires are matching - tread and pressure are proper.

I read on here that that additve is suppose to fix the delayed forward engagement problem.No it doesn't leak.The tires are all the same size and pressure.

The additive product is Trans-X. I am the guy who has fixed the delayed forward engagement problem in three auto trannies. The problem seems to present itself in the '99 & '00 models. Works great! Suggest you drain and fill your trany at least 3 times to drain out old ATF, as a single drain only actually drains out about half the fluid.

i'm a synthetic fan, but if you have a possible botched transmission and think you're going to fix this if the fluid change doesn't fix it, then i wouldn't put the money into synthetic right now. they sythn won't make the difference between fixing it or not so i wouldn't waste the money.

i'd go with your basic off the shelf low cost ATF. you can always go to synth later if the problem gets fixed.

doesn't matter really, but that's my penny.