Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axles for newer 4.444 LSD

i need to know what axles will go into my car. i got of course a 1988 wagon with XT6 5 lug swap and my rear diff doesn't have the nubs like the stock style, one i got now takes male ends. what axles can i use? will early legacy axles do the job? i was just going to swap the gears into the old 3.7 LSD i have but said forget the trouble of re-adjusting unless i have too.

thanks

you will need to use the inner DOJ cups that match the diff. there's a chance that things will be the right size and you could just mix and match parts and make hybrid axles that will work. or, you might have to get some conversion races from rockford or similar.

I'm planning to put an SVX rear LSD into my XT6 this spring...so we'll see how that goes.

youcould also just grind grooves into stub axles from an earlier model anbd mate them that way using circlips like the actual axles do.......cheers, brian

i was thinking that too. wasn't sure if the length would be the same though on the stubs. if i went to a pull and pay again with some pry bars i could get nice used ones for $23ea. their a pain to get out and i wasn't sure how hard they were to get out. if the fronts were the same length as the back on both accounts i got two leg and two Xt6 fronts. thanks for the idea as i might try it and see unless someone already knows....

i just played with this tonight. here is all i know after 6 hours of head scratching. and mix and match....

svx and 1991 3.9 vlsd will not interchange. the stub axles on the 3.9 look just like the axle ends on the 3.54 vlsd out of the svx but the iner most splines are biger on the svx axle then on the 3.9. also the svx axles have a differnt spline count on the axle then a legacy so you cant use the cage off the svx axle on a legacy acle because it wont go on the shaft. anyway i finaly just swaped the carier so i now have a 3.9vlsd with the lsd part from the svx. that way i can put the 3.9vlsd behind my turbo legacy trany that is going in the svx.....

i didnt do an exhaustive search of the axles but i did try early legacy axles and mid 90 legacy axles. i didnt try any 2000+ axles though......

i just played with this tonight. here is all i know after 6 hours of head scratching. and mix and match.... svx and 1991 3.9 vlsd will not interchange. the stub axles on the 3.9 look just like the axle ends on the 3.54 vlsd out of the svx but the iner most splines are biger on the svx axle then on the 3.9. also the svx axles have a differnt spline count on the axle then a legacy so you cant use the cage off the svx axle on a legacy acle because it wont go on the shaft. anyway i finaly just swaped the carier so i now have a 3.9vlsd with the lsd part from the svx. that way i can put the 3.9vlsd behind my turbo legacy trany that is going in the svx..... i didnt do an exhaustive search of the axles but i did try early legacy axles and mid 90 legacy axles. i didnt try any 2000+ axles though......
good info, weird as i always thought most axles were the same except the minor changes.