Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission noise question

1993 Loyale wagon, 5spd 4wd. E82. SPFI.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear have a strange growl. It's more noticeable in 1st and 2nd, and might still be there just covered up by road noise in 3rd. No other issue that I can tell, except that merging on to the freeway is a religious experience, but that might just be the 4 cylinder more then anything else.

So... thoughts? What could be causing the noise? Check the gear oil, it's clean, doesn't smell funny.. no idea what maintenance has been done, but overall the car is extremely clean and gives the impression of being well taken care of.

yes, it continues in neutral.

it just continues during acceleration.

Then it is not likely you're trans.

Probably a wheel bearing.

Let me ask, does the noise change when you make a turn? Like when the car leans for the turn, does the noise go away momentarily? one side only?

Which ever wheel is on the inside of the turn when the noise goes away is the one with the bad bearing.

I know it's not tire noise, I just bought a new set of snow tires the week before christmas. I also replaced the wheel bearing on the passenger side not too long ago as well.

I'm going to go for a drive today and confirm my answers.. i.e. continues with clutch in, while moving forward, etc.

I'm not sure that it is a wheel bearing, since the noise seems to go away in 3rd gear and up.

Put some fresh gear oil in there and keep driving? As long as there is no leaks or vibrations it may just be noisier than most trannies. My loyale's tranny makes enough noise for me to hear it. I just ignore it now and it hasn't changed in the 60k miles I've put on it.

Well, the gear oil appears to be new, or at least clean. No grittiness, appropriate level, etc.

I guess I can keep driving it while it's making the noise, but since it's my daily driver and wife and kid hauler, I'm concerned about it breaking down in the middle of nowhere because of something I should have fixed. I have located a donor transmission, but I wanted to get a second (or third, or fourth) opinion before I swapped it out.