Ultimate Subaru Message Board

floatation

Uberoo

When ever I can get around to picking up a free 84 subaru wagon that needs work I will need to think about offroad tires. I have a set of 6.00X14 R1 tractor tires that work fantastic,except in the snow.In mud they go anywhere,but in snow they very quickly sink in and the car high centers. those tires are 6-7" wide. I am looking for a street tire size that is about 26" tall and and wide as possible for some floatation. rim size of 14-15".Thanks.

I have seen some tires that would prolly be outrageous on a soob, but would definitely float, they are on my Uncle's old, OLD swather, they are no more than 26" tall, V-tread, and like 14 or so inches wide. Not sure what kind of rim they are on, some farm implement rim. Basically picture your tractor tires but like 2 1/2 times as wide. Ill get some more info on them if anyone is interested.

-Bill

If you can find a 12 or 14 inch wheel, get some ATV tires and swap them on when you get to where you wheel. You have a choice in tread. You can also get sizes from 24 inchs tall up to 27 or 28 inches tall. If you go this route, look for something designed for a UTV, they are usually 6 ply

If you can find a 12 or 14 inch wheel, get some ATV tires and swap them on when you get to where you wheel. You have a choice in tread. You can also get sizes from 24 inchs tall up to 27 or 28 inches tall. If you go this route, look for something designed for a UTV, they are usually 6 ply

I already have one set that I change to when I go offroading.Thanks for the sugestion

I am thinking of buying a tire groover so the tire doesnt need to be agressive.just wide.

Whats a practical tire size for snow running?I have a line on some rear tires of an old combine.They are about 30" tall.They have a grass/turf/non skid tread pattern which is basically a huge all terrain with 1" tread depth.they are about 16" wide.Talk about floatation.And they would be free.I would probally run them at about 10-12 psi to increase floatation and to lower the overall height of the tires...

so how would a stock EA81 deal with those tires over mild hills?Nothing real technical just snow...

also how much would I have to cut out to make those fit...

BF all terrians are the best tires in the snow Ever. 27x8.50x14 are around too you can order them at les Schwab, and you can get an account there. so there is no reason not to get a good set of tires, 50 bucks a month and you got a good set that should last you for 2 or 3 rigs. Not only that you can drive them on the road and offroad, no more changing over to Atv tires once you get to your wheeling spot.

Jeff

BF all terrians are the best tires in the snow Ever.

Jeff

Ditto. If you want a good snow tire; these are it. They are without a doubt the best offroad snow tire in that size range. I would even challenge that they may very well be the best of any size range. They also handle other conditions fairly well despite their all terrain design. Plus, they are great on the road.