Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine computers

noordhorn

They have differnt computers because th computers do differnt things. In an auto it needs to know what gear the car is in, it needs a torque reading sometimes, and it interacts with the TCU to shut off/modify/etc cylinder firing during shifts. Thats just to name a few. No reason to put a puter in a car that doesnt need to know these things, as it costs money.

I cant give you an absolute answer (as I dont remeber it) but someone else will.

nipper

If I put a used engine, that came out of an automatic car, into my standard shift car, does that change anything as far as the engine computer?
what may apply to one make, model, year, engine, trans - may not apply to others. some are much easier to tackle than others. it's like saying "can i swap wheels"? so you would need to ask about a specific year, model, and engine to get an answer.

They have differnt computers because th computers do differnt things. In an auto it needs to know what gear the car is in, it needs a torque reading sometimes, and it interacts with the TCU to shut off/modify/etc cylinder firing during shifts. Thats just to name a few. No reason to put a puter in a car that doesnt need to know these things, as it costs money.

often automatic and manual engines interchange just fine (been there, done that).

i've even swapped ECU's from automatic and manual trans equipped subarus. i'm not saying it can always be done, but i've done it.

i ran a 6 cylinder on a 4 cylinder ECU once, that was pretty awesome. it was ugly and not *driveable*, but i just tried it for kicks. i couldn't believe the car actually ran and drove.

i think some ECU's can handle either and use an identifier pin to specify what trans.

often automatic and manual engines interchange just fine (been there, done that).

i've even swapped ECU's from automatic and manual trans equipped subarus. i'm not saying it can always be done, but i've done it.

Just explaining the reasons why they have different puters :). I figured someone who has swapped them can answer better then me.

nipper