Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TOD after waterpump failure and Timing Belt change

I have a 92 Loyale with 160k. A while back my waterpump failed. I get it towed home to replace the WP and decide to do the timing belts a the same time. Now I have it all back together and running but I have a very lound tick coming from the engine. It sounds like the TOD noise i get sometimes but louder. It seems to come from the center of the engine but I can't really pin it down.

My question is could my timing be off causing this tick? I drove it around the block and notice no hesitation or different feeling in the power and driving of the car only the tick. I also turned the crank pulley by hand and the timing marks are lining up as the should. Right now I afraid of running it any more and causing and engine damage.

I don't think it overheated. I never saw the temp gauge go above normal and it was below freezing when it broke down. I replaced the idler pulley and both tensioners with the T-belts. The noise sounds like a loud distinct tick and it speeds and slows with the engine speed.

I think I solved the problem. I added some Marvels Mystery Oil to the crank case and ran it until it warmed. The noise diminished than vanished. A stuck hydraulic lifter? It was much louder than I had ever heard coming from my subie before so it scared the crap out of me initially. I hope that is all it was.