Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No question I'd 2.2 it if the rest of the car is decent.

If for some reason you are fond of the 2.5 I'll sell you the next running one I pull. Current candidate is a 97 OBW 2.5 auto that I'm working on now.

A lot of us have the bad pulley if you need one. But I probably wouldn't mess with this engine with the high miles.

Dave

BTW now 95's w/EGR are basically 400 + - getting scarce. Almost down to buying whole cars to get the engine as I just did with a 97 2.2.

Edited by davebugs

what condition is the car in overall? that's a lot of miles, most of that mileage aren't worth an engine swap in my opinion.

the cheapest option will depend on who's doing the work. but generally you can do an Ej22 swap for the price range you're talking about.

$300 EJ22 engine + $200 parts (timing kit, new hoses, etc) + $400 install = $900. you can get the engine cheaper, skimp on parts, and possibly find cheaper install prices.

i'd think you're better off putting $1,000 + the couple hundred you could get for yours into getting another used subaru with half the mileage. but...then you'll probably be getting something that needs work - brakes, exhaust, timing belt, etc. so don't max your spending.

if you're tight on cash it sucks to throw it away though without at least checking to see if maybe it would run with just a belt. but if you're paying someone and need the parts you're kind of stuck i undersatnd.

although, how in the world did the camshaft pulley break, that's not a normal failure mode? that's a bit questionable, like is something more ominous awaiting?

I still think that the cheapest way would be to put on the heads that I have and then you have your car back. A non-running car isn't going to bring more than 500. 00 with that kind of mileage on it. How about if I included shipping in the estimate I gave you?

I'd really like to see you fix the car and get back on the road. Call me if you'd like

804-393-0516

I have done alot of these rebuilds.

Fellers,

I really appreciate all the input and help being offered. I can do basic repairs but this type of job is beyond me so i have to pay about $70/hr for labor which is what also drives the cost up. I'll have to ask the mechanic what it would cost to put on the used heads, the pulley and belt back together. How much time should that take a mechanic? This is my second car so many times it is not driven much, we have kept it around for winter time driving here in Cincinnati.

Tracy

Wouldn't there be an issue with the EGR (being a 95 5-speed)?

I'm guessing that he could get a 2.2 engine already removed and delivered for 400-500 or so. He's not that far from me and that seems to be the going rate here.

For that matter I have a whole 97 2.2 SW that I'd sell him for less than that with an EGR. But he's a distance away.

Dave