Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL Hatch Clutch/ Start problem

My wifes 86 gl Hatch is having a hard time starting. Not the battery and clutch works fine once car is running. Wondering if there is a switch or adjustment that let the car start once the clutch pedal is pushed in. Problem just started and is getting harder to start, have to pump clutch sometimes for it to start. Any ideas? thanks Ray...............

Ray, I am to understand that by

" My wifes 86 gl Hatch is having a hard time starting "

You mean the engine is not turning over or "cranking"

as some call it.

My FSM shows no clutch interupt switch on your model.

You can look up the clutch pedal arm and see if there is a

switch.

There maybe a switch but it would be for

the cruise control if you have it.

First the simple items of all battery cable connection

need addressed as clean and tight

(including the cable to connector junctions).

Your clutch pumping is not why it cranks after a few pumps,

it's just the failure of this type that takes several turns of the ignition switch that results in the car cranking.

The lack of cranking can be caused by several factors

1) starter contacts being worn

2) ignition switch start contacts being worn.

You could

1) replace the starter

2) replace the starter contacts

3) introduce a "starter relay" which in many cases

circumvents the problem for a long time

4) install a "never fail button" that by-passes

the ignition switch (see #3 above)

If the starter contacts are indeed the culprit

eventualy the starter may fail.

Hope this helps.

Skip, how can you tell if it's the starter or the ignition switch. When i turn the key nothing happens no cranking, but then if i hold it long enough or try it again it will crank over. Sometimes it might take 1 to 5 tries, but getting worst. Checked on a starter today at Napa $95.00. Want to buy it but wondering what if it's the ignition switch are they still available. Thanks for your help Ray in Seattle...........

turn on the ignition, make sure the tranny is in neutral, then get a wire and run it from where the positive battery cable hooks to the starter and then to the little blade connector where the little wire connects on the starter. that is the starter signal that comes from the ignition switch to tell it to work.

if you jump a wire between the ignition switch wire on the starter to the positive battery terminal it should crank over and start, if not its the starter. if it does start or crank right up then most likly its the igniton switch and or relay.

if it does start or crank right up then most likly its the igniton switch and or relay.

Sorry Scooby, no relay on his car...

that is why I said to add one is an option.

All the rest of your advise is very sound.

Ray, this is a common problem.

Many add a relay as shown below,

this has been a fix I have personaly used on

about a half dozen of my own Subys and has

never given me problems.

The relay is available at any parts place.

Many say fix it right and spend the 100 bucks

on a starter or much less on starter solenoid contacts.

Then sometimes it turns out to be the ig. switch?

Which is a bit harder to replace due to anti theft

screws used.

Some say add the "never fail" button

The button is wired to do what Scooby says

to do with the hot wire

with the exception

the wire runs through a monentary (button) switch

mounted under the dash.

I will add a wiring diagram if you need.

Here is how to add the starter relay most cars have

and Subaru neglected to add.

starterrelay.jpg

Hope this helps, if you want to PM me about this please do so quickly

as I leave for FL in a day and will not be around much.

Ran a wire like you guys said, and it started , tried it 10 times started every tilme. So sound like the starter ok, but I guess it the ignition switch. It's my wifes car so sort of interested in a new ignition switch. Any idea where to get one if you still can and how much to have someone install. Thanks Ray in Seattle

...the ig. switch which is a bit harder to replace due to anti theft

screws used.

Isn't the actual switch on the left hand side of the column?

Held in by two small phillips screws and connected to the harness

behind the kick panel ?

That's the case in my '86 Hatch. Very easy to replace yourself.

Ran a wire like you guys said, and it started , tried it 10 times started every tilme. So sound like the starter ok, but I guess it the ignition switch. It's my wifes car so sort of interested in a new ignition switch. Any idea where to get one if you still can and how much to have someone install. Thanks Ray in Seattle

Install a relay, you're wife won't ever notice anything different.

installed bosh relay, easy install. Works for about 5 starts then blows 15 amp fuse in new relay. Any ideas why fuse is blowing, what should I do next replace ignition switch or starter. Already jumped starter and it starts when jumped , thanks ray in Seattle.

installed bosh relay, easy install. Works for about 5 starts then blows 15 amp fuse in new relay. Any ideas why fuse is blowing, what should I do next replace ignition switch or starter. Already jumped starter and it starts when jumped , thanks ray in Seattle.

I personally hate bosch (except for electric power tools)'

But their Auto electronics manufacturing has all been moved to mexico, and no offense to our any of our south of the border members, but I'll take Japanese made, or hell even Korean or Taiwanese, or chinese parts before mexican stuff.

I ussually just use one of the hitachi relays that are standard for Subaru. But then again, I have lots of them laying around and even spare connectors for them to splice into.

It would probably still be a good idea to pull the starter. 3 bolts and the solenoid cover comes off. Undo the nuts that hold the 2 posts in, making note of the plastic insulators/spacers that prevent the post from touching hte metal body of the Starter.

A wire brush will do wonders to clean the copper contacts, and will Lessen the load required by that relay.

I took the starter out of my brat and stuck it in my wife's hatch. Just to make sure it was not the starter. It did the same thing. So I am pretty sure it is the ignition switch. Tried the relay but it kept blowing the 15 amp fuse. If I replace the ignition switch is it the whole key cylinder or is there a seperate ignition switch on the colum. thanks ray......