Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any alternative EA81 transmission mounts?

Jones the Brat

Hi there, My 1993 MV 1800 (UK version of the Brat) has chewed through the gearbox mounting rubbers. What are the chances, if any, of my using standard mounts from a newer Subaru as replacements as I'm having difficulty finding any original EA81 bushes / mounts? Any ideas anyone?

Edited by Jones the Brat
Clarity

The "C" shaped bracket breaks away from the cheesy little rubber block and you end up with tons of slop in the mounts. I tried jamming chucks of rubber/hose/younameit in there to tighten them up and out of desperation to find out if that was the problem I pulled out both mounts and stared at them for a minute.

Just smash them down a little tighter so the part that broke off of the rubber contacts it again and the problem is solved permanently. The mounts get reinstalled in two pieces but they work great once tightened up.

-Jeff

I can take a picture of mine and post it tomorrow if you like.

Edited by XT6 Magic

The "C" shaped bracket breaks away from the cheesy little rubber block and you end up with tons of slop in the mounts. I tried jamming chucks of rubber/hose/younameit in there to tighten them up and out of desperation to find out if that was the problem I pulled out both mounts and stared at them for a minute.

Just smash them down a little tighter so the part that broke off of the rubber contacts it again and the problem is solved permanently. The mounts get reinstalled in two pieces but they work great once tightened up.

-Jeff

I can take a picture of mine and post it tomorrow if you like.

Hey, thanks for the replies, guys.

I'd read about people welding them up solid, but it does seem a little less drastic to sqeeze 'em a little - good idea. I had hoped to be able to use something to provide a little more comfort though. There are loads of uprated bush/mount kits and parts for Imprezas that I was hoping could fit or maybe modified to fit. I need to get the Sooby driveable asap with the intention of starting work on it in the spring.

Here are the current mounts:

left_trannymount.jpg

Left side: no rubber at all and making quite a racket.

right_trannymount.jpg

Right side: a little rubber remains.

Hopefully I can start working through the whole car in spring and give it a new lease of life for the summer.

Hwyl (Welsh for 'have fun')

PS this is why I'm waiting for spring...

snow-go.jpg

Edited by Jones the Brat
Oops, used the wrong kind of link...

pretty much i would suggest getting the tranny out with crossmember, and doing some research by picking up several different mounts and doing test fits.......or just upgrade to a 5 spd d/r tranny and utilize those mounts,loads better in both departments...

there were a couple of folks that have urethaned there mounts solid.

i know mcbrat did his motor mounts at least.

i would not suggest doing the clamp down thing unless you want to eat through motor mounts, and or axles.....i have had severely blown tranny mounts before and through my experience with them,you should change them out for factory oem(about $45 us apiece),motor mounts(about$100 us pair) at the same time.

use factory OEM for this as the others are inferior.new mounts will last quite a while.if you have issues getting OEM subaru parts maybe someone here can help.

cheers, brian