Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy 1997 202 000 km. Breaking oil is disappearing. There are drops coming down from the 2 1-inch holes right above the rear right inner CV joint. Is there a joint or a connection box or something in the break line? Or did it just rust through. How can the line be accessed there? I cant see the line in this area. Never heard of a break line leaking where there is not an attachment.

Thanks from eastwest

post-3124-136027630817_thumb.jpg

There may be a joint there, but you'll have to follow the lines from the front. Have you checked the front calipers? Rear calipers/wheel cylinders? Is the front of the booster losing paint? Check all the rubber lines at the wheels? Typically the hard lines do not break... but it has been known to happen.

I have it on a hoist now. There is no way I could follow the brake line after it elbows in under the crossmember. Do I really have to remove the crossmember? I don’t even see anything of the line no matter where I try to look in. It is obvious that the line is broken up there, just from where the oil is dripping. So I guess the wheel cyclinders are OK, I just could not get the drums off yet. Tried heat, creeping oil, whackosis.

Thanks for the answers, from eastwest