Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To keep or not to keep?

I've been struggling with whether or not to ditch my brown 86 GL Wagon with 219K miles. Its leaking oil at a good clip (nothing new there for a Subaru) and has a distinct smell of gas when I start it up. Over the past year I've collected a bunch of parts (a weber carb, new springs and a thicker front sway bar).

The problem is now that I'm gainfully employed (although I miss grad school in many ways) and I have less time to work on "brownie". Just yesterday I came across a 91 Legacy with under 100K on it for around $2500 (and am pretty sure I could pick up a pretty nice one for around 5K) and it has me thinking its time to move on. Partly because I have a 5 year old and I'm still not convinced "brownie" is as safe as it could be.

I'm not willing to go for a significantly more expensive car (as in NEW) because I work for a university and with all the problems with the state budget there is no guarantee that I'll be working come Summer. That being said, I figure I have at least $500 or $750 worth of fixes I need to do. So, what do you all think? Better to fix up my GL or better to move on? Personally, I am pretty attached to my old brown beater but I'm being tempted by a younger prettier face.

Kevin

The safety issues I mean are things like it doesn't have airbags, child seat anchors and half the backseat seatbelts don't work properly. That being said, I've never really liked airbags and I suppose I could make a trip to the Pull Apart and see if I can find a set of seatbelts in better shape. Shouldn't be too hard.

As far as resealing the carb...I have an unused Weber. Perhaps its time to get that thing installed.

Hmmm...

just my .02 cents - go pick up that 91 legacy for your daily driver, keep & fix Brownie as a backup/second (or third) car

I'm definitely going to go check out the Legacy. As far as keeping brownie...no space at the apartment. Our second car is an 86 Honda Civic AWD wagon that my wife is not giving up any time soon.

Kevin

ah, the dreaded space issues...i have to try to remember that not everyone has a couple of acres for keeping parts cars, etc! :lol:

honestly, i dont think the 91 will have airbags either - dont think the airbags came until 94? - not sure of that tho... but they are more comfy, a bit larger, and, depending on the model, antilock brakes...

i really like my 90 Legacy LS wagon - altho i do still have a soft spot for the old 89 GL...

Yeah, I started thinking that the 91 probably doesn't have airbags but its still newer by 120K miles and has the EJ22 engine so it has a bit more get up and go. The EA82 in GL however is a bit simpler and I feel a bit more confident in making simple repairs.

There is something however about that ugly brown car that I just like. I could throw the Weber on it and get the engine resealed and see how far it tales me before it finally gives up.

What got me thinking about this was the price increase at CCR. I was originally going to pop for a rebuilt EA82 at CCR but it seems like their prices went way up. I seem to remember when I checked last year it was about $1300 - $1500 for an engine. It looks to have gone up to about $2500. Its a lot less appealing to drop $2500 into a 23 year old car.

The newer stuff is really nice. There's not many ways an EA vehicle can compare to an EJ vehicle. Except the locking center diffs and dual range transmissions, but that's not a huge difference for most people anyway.

Then again you can squeeze some more miles and another year out of your EA and put some money away too.

If you decide to move on, I'd probably wait for a better deal. If you have a running, driving vehicle, that's the best time to buy a car. You can wait, pass, and keep your eye out for a good deal.

For $2,500 i'd be looking for a 95 or up Legacy or Impreza. Much nicer cars than the first gen EJ stuff.

I buy a few Subaru's every year for friends/family. Last one was a 100k 1997 Legacy with a new clutch and new tires (cheap, but new), one owner vehicle in great shape for $900. I slapped new timing belt kit and water pump on it and he's got a great and nearly bullet proof car for a long time for not much money.

The newer stuff is really nice. There's not many ways an EA vehicle can compare to an EJ vehicle. Except the locking center diffs and dual range transmissions, but that's not a huge difference for most people anyway.

Yeah for most people, however I live in NW Washington State and go up to Mt. Baker, through the passes in the snow and generally like to get into the back country. The DR transmission is probably the thing making me think twice about getting rid of brownie (and the fact that I'm oddly attached to it). I used to have an Impreza and it was pretty cool but believe it or not my GL is much better in the snow.

I also like how the GL make its virtually impossible for me to get a speeding ticket. :lol: