Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new to subarus need help

hi guys.

been reading some of your posts and you guys know your cars . after reading some i'm more mixed up now than what i was before reading. not from you guys .but from me in not knowing about subaru at all. i want to buy a 1992 loyale with a auto transmission. the car only has 69000 miles and looks great. but i don't like the automatic trans. a friend has a 1989 gl 5 speed 4 wheel drive with high and low 4x4. the frame is bad on it. will the 5 speed trans go into the loyale . i think both cars have a 1.8 engine. i'm hope i can switch the transmissions . thank you for your time.

You also need the clutch pedal and all hardware to go with it, the cable, the console, and did someone say the drive shaft? You may need that too. Hope this helps. Well worth the swap. I have had the 4wd auto and it slipped around corners and felt like it was gunna drop out when it kicked back in. Good luck, John

unless you got the car for really cheap, they arent worth converting over to 4wd anymore. You can go out and buy a 4wd wagon for 1000 bucks thats in nice shape.

Do the swap if you have the parts car for free, but 2wd to 4wd is a PITA when there is thousands of 4wds already out there with 5 speeds that are probably in the same shape as the 2wd you are looking at buying

unless you got the car for really cheap, they arent worth converting over to 4wd anymore. You can go out and buy a 4wd wagon for 1000 bucks thats in nice shape.

Do the swap if you have the parts car for free, but 2wd to 4wd is a PITA when there is thousands of 4wds already out there with 5 speeds that are probably in the same shape as the 2wd you are looking at buying

It could be worth it for him since it sounds like the cars are both available to him for next to nothing.

Also, if one where installing a lift kit at the same time............everything would be apart back there anyway.