Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what can replace a 2.5 liter 1999 outback engine

danby

Hi,

ive got a 99 5 speed outback with oil in coolant, overheating, etc.

a) should I assume my engine is blown

B) if so, is there a less problem prone engine that would work in that chassis?

where could I get a list of engine years and types that'll work?

thanks!

Dan

why dont you just fix the HG issue?

if oil and coolant are mixing, that's a bad sign and shouldnt' happen on these motors. is it "really" mixing, like in the engine? i've heard of folks that see oil/coolant on the ground together and assume that means it's mixing, that does not.

EJ22's are better motors. no piston slap (less likely in an EJ22), head gasket issues, bearing noises, etc. get a low mileage, known good condition, EJ22, and redo all the timing belt stuff and related seals and you're good to go.

all of the information you could possibly want is already on here about EJ22 EJ25 swaps. start reading through those.

1995-1998 EJ22's are your choices. a 1998 will have a bellhousing that matches yours, the earlier ones will still work but are different.

1997+ EJ22's are interference engines, so make sure you replace the timing belt, water pump, seals, and all the pulleys before installing. ebay kits are $180 for everything - belts, pulleys, and tensioner.

he doesnt say where the mix is happnening, and i am assuming its in the radiator.

I am not a big fan of replacing an engine just because another one is less prone to blow HG's. You are buying an unknown engine with unknown maint history. Also you still have to invest a chunk of change in it. If the engine is NOT in a running car, you have no idea what you are buying either.

Get the original engine a compression test to see the condition of the rings in the other side of the engine. in soobys if one side is good, odds are the other side is too.

Once the HG is replaced, as long as it is done properly, it is done.

As long as you have not cooked the engine, and it has under 150,000 miles its worth fixing. if either one of those apply, then start shopping for a replacement.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just swapped out my 96 Outback 2.5 EJ25 due to the blown head. Whether it's head gasket or cracked it's a major PITA job which will go into the $1000 plus range when you're done. When I had to face the music and decide I chose to gamble on one of the Japanese trade ins on eBay for $1000 with 50,000 miles. It's true these engines are perfect, the job was way easier than messing with the head gasket gamble, is it gasket, is it cracked, is it way too old and tired to even waste your time and money. My new engine ran like a sewing machine from day one without a sputter, so far 6100 miles and no issues. These sellers on eBay have lots and lots of engines, make clear what you're getting, ask about wiring harnesses etc., what's been cut. Their prices have come down a few hundred since the recession as well, most likely get one for about $750 now including shipping.. I saw an STI 2.0 with a 6 speed trans go for $750, that's a $10,000 package.. Good luck..

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=subaru+engine&_sacat=See-All-Categories