Ultimate Subaru Message Board

iridium spark plugs....overkill???

I am about to do some tune up for MY 95 legacy. I usually replace the spark plugs with V power NGK, but I have an extra set of iridium spark plugs that no longer needed from my SVX( same spark plug size as 95 EJ22 ).

I heared somewhere that V power burns the fuel air mixture better. but iridium last longer. Which one has better fuel mileage and performance?

Any advice???

Thanks

There is NO reason in the world to not use "free" iridiums you have on-hand rather than buying another set of plugs.

While V-Powers are adequate in all respects, the iridiums actually have a better opportunity to ignite the fuel-air mixture 'better' and thus have it burn more completely. They also last vastly longer. Whether you'll see a monetary payoff sufficient to cover the higher price is almost impossible to tell except under lab-grade controlled conditions, but since yours are "free," you'd be foolish to not use them.

If they're the double-iridium NGKs then they can last 100,000 miles. As it happens, I replaced mine at a bit less than 100k, but they showed no visible signs of needing replacement and there was no mpg improvement after I replaced them. I replaced them w/V-Powers because I'm cheap. :)

If they're the double-iridium NGKs then they can last 100,000 miles. As it happens, I replaced mine at a bit less than 100k, but they showed no visible signs of needing replacement and there was no mpg improvement after I replaced them. I replaced them w/V-Powers because I'm cheap. :)

i run the stock plugs over 100,000 miles all the time.

nipper