Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 Legacy Torque Bind (I Still Have Questions, Please Help)

Ok. So... I've had a 1994 Legacy L for quite sometime. Its got 128000 on it and still runs like the day it was new, until recently. I discovered that someone who had serviced the car had put 185-65-14s on the drive wheels and 185-70-14s on the non drive wheels and the car has a ton of binding a clunking.

I replaced the front CV shafts and the binding improved significantly. I put brand new correct size tires and again it improved but it still binds.

I put a fuse in FWD slot and the bind went away, so the Duty 'C' Solenoid is still good.

I checked the tranny fluid and it is as pink as it should be.

I checked the rear end and there was WAY too much fluid in there. I still have to drain some of it out.

I still have the torque bind.

I was told a tranny flush would fix the problem, although i don't understand how this would solve it because the transmission isn't where the cluck is coming from. How would a tranny flush solve the problem, the fluid isnt fed through the rear end? Can someone please clarify this.

Also, i was told it may be the MPT clutches. How would I absolutely determine that that's the problem without dropping the rear end and/or transmission? This also refers to the scored clutch pack because of dirty ATF, which again confuses me.

I was told that the clutch pack may be scored because of the uneven tires.

I'm sure i have heard a few other theories, but i'm looking for a clarification on a few things as well as MPT clutch part numbers, where to get them besides a dealer, etc.

Is there anyone that can help me out. It would be greatly appreciated. I need this solved before i do more damage.

The trnasmission uses the tranny fluid to operate and cool the center clutch pack.

You may have gummy clutches. Fresh fluid may clear it up, if not then try the lucas LSD fluid in the ATF fluid.

Torque bind comes from the transmission, not from the rear axle, unless your LSD is fried. How to tell the differnce:

LSD fried, your rear tires will squeel around slow tight curves.

TB slow tight turns will be very hard to make.

I think you have whats called too much info.

I am not quite sure what you are calling MPT.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78467

The problem is most often the rear clutch pack, transfer clutch, all wheel drive clutch, or rear output clutch... what ever you want to call it. The above thread shows the problem of a worn clutch hub and how to fix it. You may need clutches as well, but usually is not necessary (clutch problem presents itself as NO AWD). Solenoid c is ok considering the FWD fuse temporarily fixed the problem.

also check tire sizes, and pressures. If tire sizes are the same, tread depth may be an issue, they should be within 1/32 of each other (ideal).

LJ

*UPDATE*

I changed out the gear oil in the rear end and added limited slip additive this afternoon and the problem still exists so that one is ruled out.

The tires were different sizes at one point, they are no longer like that as i have just replaced all 4 tires with brand new 185-70-14s.

*UPDATE*

I changed out the gear oil in the rear end and added limited slip additive this afternoon and the problem still exists so that one is ruled out.

The tires were different sizes at one point, they are no longer like that as i have just replaced all 4 tires with brand new 185-70-14s.

Just out of curiosity, why did you add LSD additive? That only works for a limited slip