Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plan B and correct tools for struts?

I was all set to swap out my strut assemblies on the 97 outback. I started on the driver rear-unclipped the brake line and secured it out of the way and disconnected the ABS and loosened the upper mount bolts.

I got the upper bolt loosened with the breaker bar and socket on either side but the lower bolt was more difficult. I managed to round off the bolt head with the 12 point socket. Someone needs to tell me that the 6 point socket is better to remove the bolt. So, I went and bought a 6 point socket and wrench. I will have to remove the horked bolt with vise grips and the box wrench, hopefully and replace the lower bolt with the upper bolt and put a camber bolt in the upper position.

the struts are giving me a lift so the camber bolts are probably needed anyway. I just hate being the first person this has ever happened to. So, tell me-for high torque situations-stay away from the 12 point sockets right?

oh yeah, I've already opened a can of PB blaster rump roast on all 4 corners.

Edited by 98obster

Sounds like me today! I swapped out the front strut assemblies on my '97 GT wagon and tightened one of the upper strut mount bolts til it broke off! Now what do I do? (I did use a lot of PB blaster today though... good stuff!) I do remember swapping out the rears on my '95 legacy wagon a few years ago. What a PITA that was!

Sounds like me today! I swapped out the front strut assemblies on my '97 GT wagon and tightened one of the upper strut mount bolts til it broke off! Now what do I do?

go get a grade 8 bolt, nut and some washers (both flat & lock type) of an appropriate size and bolt it in - did the same thing you did on the 89 GL - snapped the stud...seems to me i was able to pop the stud out of the tophat, but it may need to be drilled out. kind of a trick to get it up in there but it can be done - especially if you can get a helper with small hands to feed the bolt up from the underside.

Or you can try to cut the nut off with a nut splitter or dremel or something. Yes in all applications where a 6pt socket will fit, use a 6pt socket. Esp in a high torque application like this. 12pt sockets can be helpful for certain tasks or obviously on 12pt fasteners but are much more likely to round off a t6pt fastener.

If you damage the bolt I would just replace with a new Subaru bolt. Some of the metric JIS fasteners are stronger than grade 8 so replacing with grade 8 might actually be a step down.

The strut mount studs will snap pretty easily. Torque wrench is a safe way to go, going by feel have seen some threads where people snapped them.