Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Subaru Tow Plow

I have been very busy lately with work, school and other stuff in my life lately, so I haven't been around too much; however, I wanted to share this with you guys:

THE SUBARU TOW PLOW

Ingredients:

1 driveway with 6" of new fluffy snow, plus 8" of hard packed old snow

1 Subaru with two tow rings on the rear

1 Yakima Load Warrior roof basket (others may work too)

1 large, heavy, cumbersome object that fit on roof basket (I used a plastic box with 100 lbs of my Army junk)

1 tow strap

Optional:

2 carabiners, not the weak ones, mine were climbing grade

1 bungee cord

Put roof basket on end of driveway, in a way that you may back up the Subaru to it. Place cumbersome object on roof basket. Connect tow strap to tow rings on rear of vehicle, in such a manner that the strap forms two even lines between the roof basket and the tow rings on car.

You may use the carabiners to attach tow strap to car or roof basket, and you may use the bungee cord to keep your cumbersome object planted on the basket, unless you like seeing your stuff being strewn by the street as you plow.

Get into Subaru and drive up and down the driveway to remove snow. When you drive you may want to drive to one side of the driveway, and then back down the other, so that your tow path is wider.

After doing your driveway in a satisfactory manner you may also do your street (I did!). Keep you speed low, as the tow plow will tend to float over the snow and not do such a good job when you are going fast. I found out 15 mph was getting too fast for this. When your neighbor asks you what are you doing dragging a loaded roof basket with a tow strap, explain to him you are plowing the road. Marvel at the puzzle look in his face.

You want pictures? Of course you do!

Here is the tow plow connected to the Subaru

IMG_1819a.jpg

Notice that the large, heavy, cumbersome object is essential to weigh down the roof rack for a proper plowing job.

IMG_1824a.jpg

Side view of tow plow, notice the snow levels in front and behind it.

IMG_1827a.jpg

Rear view of the revolutionary Subaru Tow Plow

IMG_1828a.jpg

View of attachment on the rear of the vehicle, using two carabiners to connect the tow strap to the tow rings. I was worried that the muffler might melt the cheap Walmart nylon tow strap, but it was fine. I don't know if it was the outside temperature was too cold to melt nylon, or if the Loyale's exhaust has enough leaks that the exhaust gases are cold when the reach the muffler. Probably the latter.

IMG_1822a.jpg

Here is the driveway before the tow job, notice the tire tracks through the new, fluffy snow.

IMG_1812a.jpg

Here is the driveway after the tow job. The center was done by the Subaru Tow Plow, and the edges were done with a snow shovel.

IMG_1826a.jpg

Disclaimer: No roof baskets were harmed on the plowing job, despite the flexing on the aerodynamic plate.

I gotta patent this!

The only problem is that the Forester only has one rear tow hook on the right side, hence the Loyale.

we should write up a want list to submit to Subaru of America

2 tow hooks on each end again.....is one.

but instead they give us ipod connections.....who cares about tech, give us D/R and FWD switch instead......errrr