Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat hits the trail for the first time

casm

Mostly-stock '86 Brat - only mods seem to be the Gen 1 nudge bar at the front and modified S-10 rollbar in the rear. We got some snow last night that didn't stick as well as I was hoping for, so ended up doing the whole trail in 2WD which it handled just fine even with 3"-4" of snow and slick mud in a couple of hilly spots. This was its first dirt run since I got it two weeks ago, and didn't want to push it too hard given that I didn't know how it would do off-road mechanically, so just ran it up a graded fire trail. Very confident in it now, though.

Really need to replace those front struts and coils at some point since it's seriously nose-down, but it'll have to wait until I'm working again - I got laid off on Friday, so Subaru parts purchases have been moved down the list in priority.

Bigger pictures (and more of them) can be found here.

img_0189.jpg

img_0193.jpg

img_0192.jpg

You could crank up the front suspension, 'till ya get struts/springs.

I could... If the adjuster bolts weren't headed ;) . The bolts are all the way down, so that's pretty much where they're staying. I think I may have a line on some OEM struts, though, so we'll see if that ever pans out; if not, I may look into rebuilding these ones. The springs are kinda at the end of their lives as well, so that's not helping things either. If I ever find a job again, I'll figure it out once the first couple of paycheques hit.

Real nice shape! Any plans to mod it?

Thanks :) No real plans for modding it - it's nice having a driver that isn't modified (unlike my Jeep). I'd actually like to put the stereo and console back to stock at some point, and that's about it. Maybe an EJ-22 if the EA-81 ever goes south, but that would be about it.

I was expecting to see "a little mud on the tires"

We were getting on-again, off-again rain that day as well, so the brown stuff was washing off pretty much as quickly as it came on. Weirdly enough, even the underbody was pretty clean at the pressure wash.

Edited by casm