Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82-ea81

I was wondering what is needed to put and EA81 into an EA82. I know about the intake etc. because I have the fuel injection in my Brat. But will the y-pipe bolt up, and will the clutch and flywheel from the EA82 bolt onto the EA81? Anything else. Thanks!

Also will the EA82 power steering bolt onto the EA81 motor?

Edited by bratman18

Don't know about the power steering, but the flywheel will go on it. You have to clearance the EA81's bellhousing just a bit at the bottom, and leave off the bottom inspection plate, then use the EA82 clutch too. I think the y-pipe fits, but it may use the other set of holes.

Did it to the better half's 87'. The y-pipe will fit. As for the power steering, you'll have to fab a mount for it like the one shown in the Haynes repair manual, Pg 10-25. You'll have to cut the pulley for bolt clearance and change the fluid reservoir as the EA82 reservoir hits the air cleaner ( I used one for a nisson PU 85MY). Then you'll have to shorten the lines. The pump ends up being under driven, but it works.

Unc

Be sure to pay attention to what year your ea81 is

80-82 Ea81's had the air suction valve for the exhaust on the passenger side, where as everything 83 and later had it on the drivers side.

(might make for a a very confusing exhaust leak when you bolt up your y-pipe, because the cast piece on the head makes up and extra inch)

Be sure you transfer the timing marks between the flywheels, they are in different locations between the 2 engines.

Set one flywheel crank side onto the clutch side of the other, align the bolts holes, bolt them together with a couple bolts if you like. Then use hammer/chisel or dremel grinder to mark the flywheel timing marks onto the other.

Oil pressure and engine temp units have to be swapped between the two.

Coil to disty wires will need to be lengthened.

May be something with the pitch-stopper, but that detail is a bit fuzzy, been a couple years.

Re-reouting of some vac hoses may be needed.

• 1 month later...
It just needs a custom bracket made to mount the steering pump on the EA81, but its kinda tricky cuz the best place for it is taken by the distributor.

-Bill

So Bill, is that something you could make me and sell?!?!?!

Hmm, I never thought much about it, I just got used to muscling the Beast around with no P/S, but Im sure I could whip something up, Ill just have to find a SPFI manifold, but Ill try to make something that works with the EA81 carb manifold, the ea82 carb manifold and the SPFI manifold. The real tricky part about the EA82 manifolds on the EA81 motors is the thermostat housing is right next to the disty, not leaving much room of any kind.... Ill see what I can do :cool:

-Bill

Hmm, I never thought much about it, I just got used to muscling the Beast around with no P/S, but Im sure I could whip something up, Ill just have to find a SPFI manifold, but Ill try to make something that works with the EA81 carb manifold, the ea82 carb manifold and the SPFI manifold. The real tricky part about the EA82 manifolds on the EA81 motors is the thermostat housing is right next to the disty, not leaving much room of any kind.... Ill see what I can do :cool:

-Bill

Yeah I know that's the tricky part. But the EA82 motor that's in my new sedan smokes bad, and I have a spare EA81 that runs great and would pretty much drop in without much being done to it. So if I had a bracket that I could just slap on that would allow me to bolt up the EA82 power steering pump and have SPFI, that would be awesome!! So let me know and PM me about a price, maybe we can work something out with those couple parts you want as well!! Thanks!!

Oh, and Bill, I know you're busy, but I could use this ASAP.:grin:

Edited by bratman18

Ill try to get workin on it this week, tryin to finish up 5 6" lift kits and some other projects as well, but Ill get it fit in my schedule.

-Bill

Sweet! You da man! I completely understand you got other stuff first, lemme know! Thanks

Here's a taste of what I have created :grin:

05-10-09_1500.jpg

Thats an EA82 power steering pump mounted on an EA81 with an EA82 manifold and a Weber, so it should also fit the SPFI manifold with no problems. Details to come, but basically I plan to sell this as a swap kit, with the bracket, new hardware, and the proper belt for the swap. Power steering just got a lot easier for anyone swapping a EA81 into a EA82 car or anyone lookin to upgrade to PS in an older EA81 car and cant find a EA81 donor car with PS in the yards. Applause are in order :clap::clap::clap:

-Bill