Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did I ruin the engine??

I have a 1990 loyale EA82 with a 3AT. I started having overheating problems about a year ago, but no indications it was the HG so I reworked the whole cooling system, but it still overheated. At the time it was my families only vehicle so we continued to drive it daily overheating it fairly regularly (1-2 times a week to about 2/3 of the heat gauge). Of course this resulted in the HG leaking. I just to drive it and refill the coolant for another 6 months or so. It finally died when I parked it overnight in -20 degree temps and the piston froze to the block. it has started and driven since then but Now I don't drive it anymore since it bubbles over the overflow and won't idle. I am wondering if this extreme abuse has destroyed the engine or if a rebuild is worth it. I have another engine from a guy who pulled it with 160K because it had a loud tick. I figure it ticked because it was a subby and probly just needed an oil pump. My plan was to replace gaskets and seals on the extra engine and put it in with a new water and oil pump and scrap the old engine. Should I use the old engine or the extra and should I do the rings and bearings while it is out of the car? Any thought or advice would be great. this is first time I have done any internal work with any engine. Thanks for and help, advice or guidance.

I Don`t Believe it is Completely Damaged... But the Better Way to Know is to Open the engine and See.

If you Check it and there are no big Damage, you can Just Reseal it, Change the Bearings, Head Gaskets, Oil & Water Pumps and That`s it!

I Fixed a Subie with that Same Story Long Time Ago... The Owner Drove it around a Year Overheating Badly, it Even got Cracked Heads! ... :eek: ... but I Just Changed Both Heads, HG`s and Water Pump and it Still Runs Fine...

You Might Consider that if your Subie`s Engine Didn`t Sing the "TOD" (Tick of Death) Song as the other engine Did, and if the Other engine Sang it for Long Time, your Engine`s Hydraulic Lifters May be in Better Healthy Shape than the Other ones.

So, if you Think in Build an Engine with Parts of those Two, I Suggest you to Keep your Hydraulic Lifters, Maybe the Whole Heads...

Good Luck!

I would not replace the oil pump, just the seals and o-rings that go to it. I have never seen an EA82 oil pump go bad, just leak, suck in air, air pumps up lifter, TOD starts. If TOD goes long enough, lifters go bad. Catch it soon, all will be fine. As far as your original engine... If a tear-down shows no major problems, run it. If you have an engine available, why waste the time?

LJ

Edited by 2.5GL
content

My guess is that you didn't really seize the piston on the block, but rather hydrolocked the engine with coolant in one cylinder. You didn't say whether you are getting water in the oil.

I have had an oil pump fail. In the course of 50 miles it went from fine to "0" on the gauge (wasn't really 0, but was really low). All of the HLAs were clattering so badly I was sure that I had toasted the rod bearings. Pulled the oil pump and found nearly 1/4" of axial shaft play. (Someday I plan to take a closer look at it...)