Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing transmission & rear diff oil

Hi all,

I think my 98 OBS 5MT is ready for a gear oil change in trans & rear diff.

It has 183k on it and not sure if it has ever changed gear oil before.

I'm wondering if it will hurt the trans/ diff if I change the oil cause I heard that some hi miles trans. went to heaven after the oil change.

Anyone heard of anything like that?

Thanks

Vincent

I don't know if the oil in a 5 speed trany ever needs to be changed, but it sure wouldn't hurt anything.

As far as changing lube in the rear dif, I tried doing that on my 99 last weekend to no avail. I bet you will find bolt/plugs to be super tight, like I found on my car. Suggest you use a half inch drive breaker bar, then slide a long pipe over then end of the breaker bar handle to gain added leverage.

Be sure to loosen the top bolt/plug first, where lube is added. Otherwise, you will be screwed if you drain the lube, but then can't get the top bolt/plug out to add new lube.

I don't know if the oil in a 5 speed trany ever needs to be changed, but it sure wouldn't hurt anything.

As far as changing lube in the rear dif, I tried doing that on my 99 last weekend to no avail. I bet you will find bolt/plugs to be super tight, like I found on my car. Suggest you use a half inch drive breaker bar, then slide a long pipe over then end of the breaker bar handle to gain added leverage.

Be sure to loosen the top bolt/plug first, where lube is added. Otherwise, you will be screwed if you drain the lube, but then can't get the top bolt/plug out to add new lube.

So what kind of method you use to try to loosen your bolt?

So what kind of method you use to try to loosen your bolt?

My effort was last weekend without success. The advise I got here was to use a half inch drive (really breaker bar) with a long bar slipped over the existing handle for added leverage. I will try this on this coming weekend.

Another guy suggested using the breaker bar, and with the help of a car jack, he literally pushed the breaker bar handle up to untighten the bolt. Guess that would work too.

My effort was last weekend without success. The advise I got here was to use a half inch drive (really breaker bar) with a long bar slipped over the existing handle for added leverage. I will try this on this coming weekend.

If you use this method with success, would you mind PM me? I'm still in the drawing board stage of acquiring what parts I need so it won't be anytime soon.

Thanks for help.

Olnick: Thanks for the PM! Appreciate it

Vincent

I just did this on MY04 for the 2nd time. First for the tranny, cover the Y pipe below with tin foil. It keeps the draining fluid from dripping , covering the pipe and smelling for weeks.

Also I refilled with Redline Superlite Shockproof. At their website it does not recommend it for transmissions, but a call to them will tell you they DO recommend it for a Subaru and it's syncronizers. Believe me, summer, winter, I have not found a better fluid ... smooth easy shifts even when starting in 0 degree weather. I remember with dino oil, release the clutch on a frigid day and the engine would stall. No so with this magic elixor. And I have had Subaru 5 speeds in 7 vehicles since 1978.

Now to the rear diff, I last did it also at 60K, now at 122K, you swore I never had those square plugs out. I even used teflon pipe tape on them and only torqued them to 30 ft lbs. Like always I couldn't budge them. But 2 years ago, I bought on sale in a Harbor Freight store the following electric impact wrench. I paid $29.99 for it on sale at the time and have since gotten my money out of it many times. I use it regulary to remove things. Never knew how I did without it and all those blood knuckles. In any case, the nose is narrow ( you can't see it in the picture ) so I put a 3" 1/2"drive extension on it and a few spurts, they were loose.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31877

I use Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear lube in the rear.

I only use that impact wrench to remove .... I always use a torque wrench to install.

P.S. word of advice ....... be certain to Get the TOP out first !!!!! If you only get the bottom out, you will have a heck of a time refilling it.

I just did this on MY04 for the 2nd time. First for the tranny, cover the Y pipe below with tin foil. It keeps the draining fluid from dripping , covering the pipe and smelling for weeks.

Also I refilled with Redline Superlite Shockproof. At their website it does not recommend it for transmissions, but a call to them will tell you they DO recommend it for a Subaru and it's syncronizers. Believe me, summer, winter, I have not found a better fluid ... smooth easy shifts even when starting in 0 degree weather. I remember with dino oil, release the clutch on a frigid day and the engine would stall. No so with this magic elixor. And I have had Subaru 5 speeds in 7 vehicles since 1978.

Now to the rear diff, I last did it also at 60K, now at 122K, you swore I never had those square plugs out. I even used teflon pipe tape on them and only torqued them to 30 ft lbs. Like always I couldn't budge them. But 2 years ago, I bought on sale in a Harbor Freight store the following electric impact wrench. I paid $29.99 for it on sale at the time and have since gotten my money out of it many times. I use it regulary to remove things. Never knew how I did without it and all those blood knuckles. In any case, the nose is narrow ( you can't see it in the picture ) so I put a 3" 1/2"drive extension on it and a few spurts, they were loose.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31877

I use Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear lube in the rear.

I only use that impact wrench to remove .... I always use a torque wrench to install.

P.S. word of advice ....... be certain to Get the TOP out first !!!!! If you only get the bottom out, you will have a heck of a time refilling it.

That's really helpful!! Thanks man!

Vincent

"So what kind of method you use to try to loosen your bolt?"

I know this sounds contrary but it works. I especially use this method on brake bleeder screws, I haven't broken any in years. After a good bath with your penetrating oil of choice, try turning the fastner in the tightening direction. It only needs to move a little, a 1/8 turn works. Once the fastner has moved it'll break free in the opposite direction. My father show me this about years ago and I've used it ever since.

• 4 weeks later...
Who has the best price on it?

And how many qts do I need?

I agree with edrach . . . good stuff.

Check performance shops in your area for price. Check specs for your car for quantity needed--probably 4 quarts. Here in Honolulu it cost $10 per quart.

• 3 months later...
So what's the best synthetic tranny fluid to use?

1998 Subaru Legacy L wagon, AT.

I'm partial to Redline 75W-90NS.

Uh...he has an automatic...do not use gear oil in an automatic transmission...the OP has a manual

A warning about thread hijacking...you may get an unintended result...