Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I replace engine/transmission mounts?

I searched, but I didn't see a how-to or anything. I'm probably going to replace the engine and transmission mounts on my '85 Brat 4-speed. I saw some people doing it once on a Nissan, but I've never done it myself. Does the lack of a how-to mean it's really that obvious how to do it?

Thanks.

Jacob

I've been thinking about eventually doing this too. I'd also change the oil pan gasket while I was at it, if yours were seeping like mine. I'm curious, where you sourced the new mounts and how much did they cost? The FSM or HTKYSA outlines the task... IIRC though, it was fairly straight forward.

Good Luck!

I've been thinking about eventually doing this too. I'd also change the oil pan gasket while I was at it, if yours were seeping like mine. I'm curious, where you sourced the new mounts and how much did they cost? The FSM or HTKYSA outlines the task... IIRC though, it was fairly straight forward.

Good Luck!

Now the oil pan gasket is much harder to do than the motor mounts IMHO. If the gasket isn't leaking don't bother until it is. The job is a tad messy and if you don't need it, leave it be.

agreed edrach,you will know when you need to change the oil pan gasket.

the motor mounts and the tranny mounts on an ea81/4spd combo equates to 4 actually .2 motor mounts,and two tranny mounts.unless you took the crossmember with it.then it would be 8 nuts off of bolts.if you do the tranny mounts on the car make sure you get the car high enough that it won't be uncomfortable.get it up there,thats what jackstands are for.

if you have to do you oil pan gasket i would take the motor out and do it.i have had pans be leakin like a siv and still a huge *************** to take off.......

.it is way messier to do that job on the vehicle in my opinion

if you are just doing the motor and tranny mounts......lift the vehicle in the front,put on jackstands.

lift motor after taking off the engine mount nuts.you will start to see the tranny mounts stretch,keep goin if you need more room,but not to far.you are trying to gain access to the mounting bolts on the side of the tranny.

take the bottom bolts out , then take the side mount bolts in the tranny out .remove mounts.replace mounts in reverse order.

now do your engine mounts.they only go one way.

lower engine, mount everything to the crossmembers and you are done.

cheers, brian

Good Luck!

I got them from rockauto.com. They were about $20 each, but I paid for overnight shipping so I could take a whack at this job on Sunday.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I can use a jack and hand tools ok, but I'm worried about the existing bolts or something being broken.

Jacob

agreed edrach,you will know when you need to change the oil pan gasket.

the motor mounts and the tranny mounts on an ea81/4spd combo equates to 4 actually .2 motor mounts,and two tranny mounts.unless you took the crossmember with it.then it would be 8 nuts off of bolts.if you do the tranny mounts on the car make sure you get the car high enough that it won't be uncomfortable.get it up there,thats what jackstands are for.

if you have to do you oil pan gasket i would take the motor out and do it.i have had pans be leakin like a siv and still a huge *************** to take off.......

.it is way messier to do that job on the vehicle in my opinion

if you are just doing the motor and tranny mounts......lift the vehicle in the front,put on jackstands.

lift motor after taking off the engine mount nuts.you will start to see the tranny mounts stretch,keep goin if you need more room,but not to far.you are trying to gain access to the mounting bolts on the side of the tranny.

take the bottom bolts out , then take the side mount bolts in the tranny out .remove mounts.replace mounts in reverse order.

now do your engine mounts.they only go one way.

lower engine, mount everything to the crossmembers and you are done.

cheers, brian

Wait, I was under the impression there were three mounts. Left and right engine mounts, and one transmission mount. Schucks.com says it's 1 transmission mount per vehicle. Should I have bought 2?

Jacob

the RockAuto "engine mounts" i bought, are not engine mounts does not know what they are:banghead:

so my engine is going back in with the old mounts. It will be the only thing not new on my BRAT. I wiped off all the caked on oil i could and they still look okay, just not new to my liking.

the RockAuto "engine mounts" i bought, are not engine mounts does not know what they are:banghead:

so my engine is going back in with the old mounts. It will be the only thing not new on my BRAT. I wiped off all the caked on oil i could and they still look okay, just not new to my liking.

When did you order them? They looked right in the pictures, and I saw a thread on here somewhere that confirmed they were the right ones.

Jacob

It has been said many times: Rockauto is not a place to buy autoparts!!!

They give you good prices: this is true, but you need a part that fits...

Sam

Yes, there are 2 trans mounts, and 2 engine mounts.

And as far as rockauto goes, I've ordered parts from them many times over the years, (close to a couple grand of $ now), and have received the wrong part only once. Seems the picker transposed a couple numbers. But an email to them explaining the issue got me the correct part sent "overnight", and they let me keep the wrong one. (Don't know what I'll ever do with it though).

Wait, I was under the impression there were three mounts. Left and right engine mounts, and one transmission mount. Schucks.com says it's 1 transmission mount per vehicle. Should I have bought 2?

Jacob

real simple. take off the pitch stopper bar at the top of the engine. remove the nuts on the studs to the motor mounts.

you can place a jack under the front of the tranny just behind the engine cradle. you will be able to jack up the motor at least 3 inches, and have plenty of room.

do the engine mounts first. reinstall the pitch bar, and then take the tranny mounts off