Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check engine light??

What causes the check engine light to come on? It didn't come on before I put a Webber on and now it comes on after a few minutes of running. What tells the light to come on? I removed all the vac hoses and associated electrical components with hoses attahed to them and the light still comes on. Please help? Thanks, John

You Already have the Answer here:

... I removed ... electrical components ...

Because now the ECU Fail to receive their Signal... So it "Thinks" that there are some Troubles...

I Just had the Same Behaviour in my Weberized EA82 Wagon (but before the Swap, `cos I did removed those before) I Just Didn`t pay attention to that Light and after some Time the Mini Bulb Just burnt out itself, so No more "ECS" Light anymore: it is an "Automatic Easy Fix" :grin:

Since the Limitations of the ECU, that won`t give any Problems... Just the Light, that in some Models Says ECS while in others says Check Engine... but it is just the Same.

Kind Regards.

I only removed the electrical components after the light started coming on. I thought after I removed them the light might go out and stay out but not so. Is there anything I can remove, adjust, or short out to get it to go out? I know I can crack open the dash and pull the lamp but I am hopeing there is an easier way. Oh and it's an 89 EA81 Hatch 4X4 4Spd/DR 1.8 with AC. Thanks, JohnThanks, John

lol removing components will not fix anything only fixing the problem will or tapping on the light pretty heavily to make it either burn out or fall out lol! (worked on my buddies mustang ("brakes? tap tap TAP brakes are fixed":lol:) id search the site for the ecu location and the connector location to pull the codes, it's probly nothing serious just make sure it's got oil and not knocking and your good!