Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More choke wires things....

I wired it to a key-on hot wire. I'm not sure that it should be getting a straight 12v? Shouldnt it go through a resistor to drop it? The choke housing gets mighty warm.

Cant figure out why the original wire has no juice to it.

I wired it to a key-on hot wire. I'm not sure that it should be getting a straight 12v? Shouldnt it go through a resistor to drop it? The choke housing gets mighty warm.

Cant figure out why the original wire has no juice to it.

the choke needs 12V. if the housing is getting really warm like that, I'd say your choke heating element needs replaced. it's pulling too much juice, heating up like that, and probably burnt out a wire along the way if it didn't pop a fuse like sm85 suggested....

He meant that possibly, the Charge Relay has bad contact points... It's a possibility. This could lead to your original wire not having any voltage on it.

12v is adequate. There should not be any resistor in-line. The choke pulls off when the bi-metal spring in the housing heats up and un-coils, operating the linkage.

It's supposed to get hot... How hot is a matter of opinion. It shouldnt be too hot to touch, but it shouldnt be cool, either. If it's cool, it means the spring is not warming up and the choke will not pull off. If it's too hot, as stated above, it's possible that the spring is shorting out or drawing too much current...

Hope this helps.

88RxTuner

the choke needs 12V. if the housing is getting really warm like that, I'd say your choke heating element needs replaced. it's pulling too much juice, heating up like that, and probably burnt out a wire along the way if it didn't pop a fuse like sm85 suggested....

Its brand new so it shouldnt be bad. I thought I had read somewhere that a constant 12v would burn it out.

Where is the charge relay and what does it look like, etc.