Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alignment

ok the front is good

we went for -.5° camber in front, and were left with 1.7° caster, not much!

but the rear gave us problems.

right side AFTER

.25° toe

0.4° camber

left side after

-.20° toe

.0° camber

this is not in spec! we used up all the adjustment to get this far, the baseline was really bad.

ok the front is good

we went for -.5° camber in front, and were left with 1.7° caster, not much!

but the rear gave us problems.

right side AFTER

.25° toe

0.4° camber

left side after

-.20° toe

.0° camber

this is not in spec! we used up all the adjustment to get this far, the baseline was really bad.

Proably bad or at least shifted(towards the outside) bushings in the pivots of the control arm and trailing arm.

Common in salty areas and espescially can be the result of a *sno-versteer* incident with a curb.

Proably bad or at least shifted(towards the outside) bushings in the pivots of the control arm and trailing arm.

Common in salty areas and espescially can be the result of a *sno-versteer* incident with a curb.

we did notice the rear bushings had more give in them than expected. :mad:

i hate changing bushings

edit is this an example of a bad one? i always waited until they cracked or deformed...

IMG_19003.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

Edited by erik litchy

My EA81 sedan (which I put a EA81 wagon 4wd rearmember thingo in) had serious bad toe. Don't know what it was in degrees but the front of the right rear wheel was 8mm further out then the back (toe out), and the left rear wheel was 2mm closer inward on the front of the wheel to the back. You could easily see the right rear wheel was toe out. I tried the adjustment but it did nothing. So I done this

83sedan_torsionbarmod2.jpg

They are now both 0degrees camber and 1mm to 1.5mm toe in on each wheel.

So I have a question on the front for you. When you reset the camber to -0.5 degrees, what did you set the front toe to?

My current setup which I came up with for my RX with EJ parts in it has -1.20 camber +/- 0.75 degrees of tolerance. When I initially did my alignment, I set to a negative camber but set to a stock toe and since the EA cars initially have a positive camber/negative toe, going to a negative camber/negative toe gave me massive wear on the inside shoulders of the tires. So hopefully you had them set it to a 0.0 toe on the front when they gave you the negative camber. I dialed my RX in to a point where it handles like my friend's '05 STi on Tein Flex's. I also put in adjustable caster rods too though so I gained about 1.75 degrees of positive caster in the front. Road feel FTW!

for front caster on my wagon i used some Acura bushings and that pushed the strut rod out and now i run +2.5* of caster... i love the way it handles... the only problem is when i set the caster that far +, the lower control arms hit the XT6 sway bar.

however i love the way it handles even with no front sway bar... i will try putting a smaller one on it to see if that hits...

the only thing i can find for camber is camber adjustment bolts that give you 1.75 deg. + - adjustment.

Those are going to be for EJ cars and maybe XT6? I put a lot of those into WRXs and STis.

Erik, go back and have the alignment redone. You'll end up shredding the inside shoulders of the tires with negative camber, negative toe. Have the toe set to 0.00 degrees

Those are going to be for EJ cars and maybe XT6? I put a lot of those into WRXs and STis.

Erik, go back and have the alignment redone. You'll end up shredding the inside shoulders of the tires with negative camber, negative toe. Have the toe set to 0.00 degrees

i did take out some toe but the rear is obviously worse than the front.

im considering adding these http://www.ingallseng.com/product.php?productid=16328&cat=0&page= at some point...

• 2 weeks later...
Does that "leading rod" (or whatever) offer more adjustment than the stock piece?

Does the stock piece allow adjustment?

38100.jpg

(also available from rockauto.com)

i suppose if you are creative you can get some adjustment out of the stock by adding spacers, but its not nearly as effective.