Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, so I just got a 2002 Subaru Outback

The previous owner had XM, so the car has an XM antenna, box, and all the associated wiring. I replaced the head unit (whose ergonomics were freakin' terrible) with my aging Blaupunkt.

My FM reception, which was fine with the Pioneer XM radio, and was fine with my Blaupunkt in my other car, is now terrible.

I'm not entirely sure why this is the case, and was hoping that someone could help me troubleshoot it. The adapter that I must use for the Blaupunkt antenna connection is clearly cheap, but it is definitely making contact - I get zero reception when I unplug it, but pick up channels with it plugged in. The adapter was in use on the other car, though, and caused no problems.

As far as I can determine, none of the XM wiring is interfering with any of the antenna wiring, so I think I can rule that out as the cause.

I found what looks like a little powered amplifier(?) when looking at the antenna wiring - my reception is unchanged between having the car on and having the car off, but I don't know if that means anything.

Could it be that this style of window antenna is just not good enough? Can I install a reasonable aftermarket antenna without too much hassle? Crutchfield lists none of their antennas as being compatible with this vehicle but I'm guessing that's because anything I do will require a modification of some sort since there's no antenna to replace, right? Suggestions for antennas?

Thanks in advance!

Blu has a Pioneer Supertuner and a rear power antenna. Reception sucks. His Supertuner before this one sucked. I tried a antenaa amo and it still sucked. I dont know why, as its not my area of expertiese, it could be the poor lead they use.

nipper

Check to make sure that power is getting to that amplifier.

So is it, in fact, a powered amp?

It's a little Clarion box, and there are four leads off it - two to the antenna, one that heads up front (to the head unit presumably) and one that heads back (power?). If it's powered, where is the ground?

I am not familiar with the equipment sorry to say. I don't know if all the wires you are talking about are coax or if some are just plain wires. It is possible that the original unit supplied DC power though the antenna lead and the replacement unit dosen't. You could measure the antenna connector of the old unit to see if it has voltage on it but you would have to reconnect it to power again.