Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea2ej, "non standard" config questions

I'm mulling over a few chassis that are available to me and had a couple questions about a configuration that may not be "normal" for most members here.

EA81 5-speed FWD to EJ motor: OK to hold the power from an EJ22 as long as an XT6 pressure plate is used? or would the trans need to go EJ as well?

If an EJ trans is required, are there clearance problems with the shifter on the FWD similar to 4WD models, or are those eliminated because there is no rear driveline?

The weakness in the 4WD gearboxes is the 4wd selector gear. And seems FWD gearboxes are the same except no 4WD gears it should hold up fine.

I know everyone says get the xt6 clutch, but over here in Australia where we never got the xt6 clutches everyone uses EA82 clutches with their EJ22 conversions and don't have problems. Just make sure you get a new clutch and you'll be alright.

XT6 pressure plate is not required, but is a good idea. I used a standard EA82 clutch kit for awhile with my EJ22, it held, but definitely wore out prematurely.

FYI, many companies use the same pressure plate for XT6s and EA82ts.

EA81 trans has a smaller diameter and less spline count shaft then the EA82 for the clutch. If its an EA81 box you have to use the EA81 friction plate. And it will have to be the 225mm one, not the older 200mm size EA81 clutch.

I would say the EA81 225mm friction plate should be up to the job. Its not like it will get a rough offroad life style.

OK... 225mm ea81 clutch with Nissan throwout bearing? And an EA82 pressure plate? Sounds doable.

You're right, no offroading for this. One of my brothers-in-law used to design suspensions... I'm going to see if I can enlist him to help with improving the setup to make it more Solo-2 friendly.

Because there is something wrong with me. :grin:

for the price of the adapter plate and the mix-n-match clutch set, flywheel etc.... you could just buy a used FWD Impreza or Legacy 5spd.

Putting an EJ trans in will require hunting down crossmembers that are somewhat less than common.

(and if you're referring to just buying and driving the Legacy/Impreza itself, that's kinda not the point of this exercise)

Putting an EJ trans in will require hunting down crossmembers that are somewhat less than common.

(and if you're referring to just buying and driving the Legacy/Impreza itself, that's kinda not the point of this exercise)

Fabbing one crossmember out of angle iron is WAAAAY easier than redrilling holes in a flywheel.

IIRC, an EA82 crossmember will work for the EJ 5spd, and only needs to have the mount holes drilled out slightly to fit on an EA81 car

plus then you will have easy clutch options. Only snag I can see is the need for 25 spline axle. Or you could swap the 23 spline stubs into the EJ trans.

^ummm...no. fabbing a crossmember might be easy if you have easy access to a welder and a competent person to operate it. I am neither. $10 for a dremel bit, and about 20 minutes, and I've got a modified flywheel.

EA82 and EJ use very different tranny crossmembers. I don't know how difficult it would be to make an EA82 one work, but it won't be bolt-up. the EJs use a 3-piece xmember setup like XT6s, which require 2 mounting points to the body. I don't think the rear points even exist on an EA81.

not to mention linkage (I believe has to be shortened....but don't quote me on it).

cost of adapter plate vs cost of transmission, xmembers, axles (and probably custom races to put 25 spline axle cups on EA81 shafts), and linkage mods.

and an EJ setup would require a new clutch anyway, so you're not really saving any money there, just opening up options.

I don't know why you need a Nissan throw out bearing... The EA82 ones work well with the EA82 gearboxes.

?

he's using an EA81 box with an EA82 pressure plate. I'm no expert, but I thought this was do-able, but a throwout from a nissan pickup was needed to make it work. :confused::confused:

• 2 weeks later...

When I went EZ in my fwd XT6 I used the legacy tranny. As a side note as well, they did make a 23 spline FWD impreza tranny... all the legacies are 25 spline, but some imps are 23. Also, +1 on being kinda hard to find.

The EJ tranny may be harder to start with, but it will make the car less complex over all and open up future clutch options as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...