Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

My wife's 95 Legacy sedan developed a 'crunching' sound coming from the left rear strut over the winter when going over tiny bumps or even just pushing down on that corner of the car. I thought maybe the strut was bad, but it seems to be absorbing bounces just fine still.

I inspected the strut and there was no oil leaking, however there was a bunch of crud built up on the bottom part of the strut piston. I cleaned it off and the chrome of the shaft is all rough and pitted. I imagine this is from road salt over the winters. I sanded down the rough stuff lightly and lubricated the piston.

The crunching noise stopped and the ride seems ok, as far as I can tell the strut is still good even though the shaft is severely pitted.

My question is should I replace the rear struts or just wait for one to fail? With moderate to severe pitting, how long can the seal on the strut possibly last? I'd rather not have to change them out, especially since the strut mounts look like they're not in great shape either and it would be a bit pricey for all new rear suspension + alignment (for that matter, is alignment necessary if just replacing the rears?).

What would you do.

If it were me, and considering that your car is 14 years old, I would drive it "as is" until the strut failed. Even if the strut completely fails and leaks out the hydraulic fluid, you won't get stranded. It would just give you a bouncy ride, and then you would know it is time to replace the strut.

If it were me, and considering that your car is 14 years old, I would drive it "as is" until the strut failed. Even if the strut completely fails and leaks out the hydraulic fluid, you won't get stranded. It would just give you a bouncy ride, and then you would know it is time to replace the strut.

Or even better put on some outback struts and lift up your legacy!

But rears do not need an alignment.