Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 performance

Does anyone have an opinion on increasing exhaust size on a ea82? I have an 85 wagon that I added a weber and an Accell coil to, and now I'm going to add a turbo style muffler and maybe a 2wd dist. for more low end power? Any help with this would be great, Thanks, Jeff ps, my wagon has an AA 4" lift and 15" Pugs with 27" tires.

Changing the exhaust size does little without supporting mods - if you change it at all, only change it from the collector back or you will destroy the scavenging.

The distributors are all the same - changing to a "2WD" unit will make no difference in the advance curve. This is just an old wives tale.

If you want more power you should swap in an SPFI short block and change the cams. You could probably get around 100 HP from an SPFI shorty, cams, collector-back exhaust (gut the cat), and properly tuned Weber. The SPFI engine was 90 HP to start (higher comp.) to your 85's 84 HP.

GD