Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Xt Turbo Not running (question)

I get fuel to the injectors and I have the Pump directly wired and Its pumping new clean fuel, Im going to a mechanic/friend to get a noid to check if the injectors are getting power. I know the engine gets spark if I trickle some gas into the intake it will fire and run for a few seconds.

I am running out of things to do/check any suggestions would be help full thanks :)

yeah, i think you need to make sure the injectors are operating properly.

have you tried spraying carb spray/check for vacuum leaks?

distributor/crank angle sensor (inside disty) has caused hard to diagnose problems for me in the past. have you swapped that?

I get fuel to the injectors and I have the Pump directly wired and Its pumping new clean fuel, Im going to a mechanic/friend to get a noid to check if the injectors are getting power. I know the engine gets spark if I trickle some gas into the intake it will fire and run for a few seconds.

I am running out of things to do/check any suggestions would be help full thanks :)

Make sure the fuel supply is going to the correct hose. NOT the one coming straight out of the pressure regulator.

IIRC the one you want to hook the supply to is *higher* and in the center of the group of three fuel lines there (the 1 skinny is the vent line) the other larger one goes to the return, out of the regulator.

When I got the XT about a week ago, I got it from a Guy that owns his own Subaru shop and 2 years ago he had diagnosed it as a bad distributor, I got a used distributor and it gives the engine spark but its not the turbo Distributor, only two of the four wires are hooked into the distributor. I don't know if this can have anything to do with it? I don't know what thoes other two wires do?

Where would I spray the spray into? and where would I check? (im new to subaru's/cars lol)

And what is the crank angle sensor?

Im prety shure the hoses are going to the right places I havent touched it besides to see if fuel is pumping to the injectors.

I dont think the engine was swapped? But it does have 113k miles on it.

Im going to check the injector pulse now.

Thanks for all the help :)

Can you tell us the year of this car?

You might have the distributor out of the wrong model in there. Early models can use a conventional 2 wire carb disty, but if it is a later model, it must use the 4 wire Crank Angle Sensor type distributor.

Well I went and checked the Injectors and Some of them said that the were working and so I cleaned off the connectors and the car started and ran for like 20 seconds then shut off. So now that all the injectors are getting power it runs:) but for only a little bit. Its a 1986 xt turbo And it has the two wire connection I couldent find the four wire one so I just got a used 2 wire one, it works but maybe that's why its shutting off?

When it runs it sounds good like nothing is wrong then randomly it shuts off? I don't know what to do now?

could it be the coil?

or the vacuum lines? some of them are broken?

Thanks for the help!

Well its kinda running better. I ran it at high RPM's to keep it running and it stayed running if it was at high rpm's It dosnt like to Idle for a long time it will Idle but then Die. It has a watter leak from somewhere? might be a blown head gasket? The turbo Tak read that it was boosting alot I think I might need the right distributor to make the car run better?

Ya probably I need to fix some of the vacume hoses too I broke one of the Tee's and somthing else when I pulled one of the tubes to check things.

Would the Vacume make it run bad?

Bad vacuum leaks would make it run bad.

So would the wrong distributor.

Well it was running fine and then the timing belt broke, so I replaced the belt and now it sounds like it is starting really weird and it wont start now, I did time it too, would it be a bent valve?