Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy Misfiring??????

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your help and suggestions- daughter has the car and has returned to college, she will take to mechanic, if the problem returns with the relay info in hand! - thanks again I will update with info. as I have it.

Here is the thread on the relay ttp://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20291&highlight=sea%233

SEA#3

To help determine if a Jideco relay replacement will cure my problem, I have removed the original relay, taken off its outer cover and cleaned the contacts. The contacts did have a small amount of carbon build up and show slight signs of wear. I then reinstalled it. I hope this creates a noticeable difference in the way the car runs. If it does fix the problem I will purchase a new relay. I'll keep you posted.

Finally a real viable solution. So far, nothing else that other's have suggested sounded good to me. I'm betting that the relay is the culprit due to the fact that my wife tells me that she smells a "burning" smell of some sort during the stalling.

I'll be doing the same thing to mine once I get her dug out of the snow! She's for sale so I haven't been driving her at all.

Thanks dudes.

Ali

'95 Legacy wagon

This is not a cure yet; I still need many driving trips to verify that it helped. But I am hopeful.

Here is some advice for removing the relay. It is very hard to get to, but along the backside of the relay there is a slot. This slot slides down into the mounting hardware. It clips into place. If you can insert a slotted screwdriver between the backside of the relay and this hardware post it will bend easy. This will unlock the mounting clip at the top. You should be able to pull it off the hardware then.

Good Luck!

Excellent, thanks for the tip. Does anyone have the p/n for this little baby?

Ali

Here is some advice for removing the relay. It is very hard to get to, but along the backside of the relay there is a slot. This slot slides down into the mounting hardware. It clips into place. If you can insert a slotted screwdriver between the backside of the relay and this hardware post it will bend easy. This will unlock the mounting clip at the top. You should be able to pull it off the hardware then.

Good Luck!