Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cannot find AC switch in 1994 Impreza automatic sedan

Help me. I am in New Mexico and the heat was up to over 90 today and i have no ac in my car. I have found out that there is a "switch" somewhere. I have no idea if it is under the hood, in the car, what!? Anyone who knows or has advice please let me know, it is too hot!!! :-\

Yes, it's likely that the A/C system is low on refrigerant. There is an automatic ''switch'' that won't allow the compressor to run if that happens. Don't bypass the switch -- it's there to protect the compressor. If the refrigerant is that low, any leaks need to be repaired before the system is recharged.

• 2 months later...

OK. so there are no leaks in the coolant and it has a full charge but when running the ac it runs hot. even when ths knob is turned to vent it blows hot air as if it were on heat. any ideas. I was told by the former owner and by a friend that works for a dealer and checked on their site that there is some sort of switch regarding the ac and that it is meant to help with fuel efficiencies when the ac is not being used in the winter, if anyone has any ideas please help, i am desperate! Thanks:-\

On my 94 impreza the a/c switch in the drivers compartment is in the HVAC control panel, other than that there are a couple of pressure switches in the engine bay that are for compressor protection and dont need to be messed with other to make sure they are plugged in and work properly.

OK. so there are no leaks in the coolant and it has a full charge but when running the ac it runs hot. even when ths knob is turned to vent it blows hot air as if it were on heat. any ideas. I was told by the former owner and by a friend that works for a dealer and checked on their site that there is some sort of switch regarding the ac and that it is meant to help with fuel efficiencies when the ac is not being used in the winter, if anyone has any ideas please help, i am desperate! Thanks:-\

Coolant is not what makes the AC work. The AC system uses refrigerant. More specifically R134A in any vehicle produced in or after 1994(?) for the US market.

This "switch" that they're talking about is a pressure switch located usually somewhere on the high pressure line. In cold weather this switch prevents the AC system from being turned on in order to protect the system from damage due to ice buildup. Not ice from winter storms, Ice that builds on/in the lines, and accumulator/drier, and on the outside of the evaporator core.

When the pressue inside the system is too low (cold weather or the refrigerant has leaked out) the switch prevents the AC compressor from turning on.

You have two options. You can get a recharge kit from an auto parts store. Or (and I'd suggest you do this one) take it to a qualified AC shop or the dealer to have the system serviced.

There is also the possibility that there is a problem with the clutch on the compressor, which is why you should take it to a shop to have it checked out.

Can you feel the compressor run and the engine load up when it does?

If so, Check the cable that leads to the blend door, it may have popped off and be stuck in the heat position.