Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2002ljegacy that needs the P brake adjusted...the old cars (GL/Loyales) simply had the adjuster nut under the P brake lever...I liked that

The newer generations have the elaborate rear drum brake set up...all for a simple parking brake:-\...the old days were so simple...

Is the adjustment now done on each wheelthru the slot using the star type adjusting thingy?

thanks

It's a combination of the two. The procedure is something like turn the drum adjusters until they make contact, then back off some amount I forget how much, then adjust the nut at the lever so for 44 lb pull on the handle it clicks like 8 times or something like that.

I would not use the slot in the back, it to much of a pain unless you cant get the drum off and then you may have to go that route. I would remove the wheel and then the drum, then if yours shoes are still in good shape you can very easy adjust the shoes out. You will want to turn the star wheel towards the top, it will not turn the other way without lifting the adj. arm away from the star wheel.

Sometimes the little adj. star wheel will not turn, then you will have to take it out and clean and regrease the adj. screw part of it. Make sure you use grease that is made for brake system.

The adj. is right when you can put the drum on with just a little drag when you turn it. Or you can spent a few dollars and pick up a brake shoe adj. tool at some auto stores or Harbor Freight.

Maybe this will fix it without having to adj. the cable but if it dont Porcupine suggestion for adj. that nut at the lever may have to be done. If I remember right that center console had to come out on mine to get to to the adj. nut. The Haynes manual should tell you what is needed to get to it.

Edited by tcspeer

I would not use the slot in the back,... I would remove the wheel and then the drum...

I agree.

That is exactly what I did a year or so ago (2002 Forester).

That 'auto' adjustment system rarely works properly, in my experience, and it is easier to remove the wheel and mini brake-drum.

There was plenty of meat left on my linings, just needed adjustment.

And then I did a small cable adjustment (under the hand-brake handle).

And my hand-brake was transformed back to new!