Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T lack of power and idling problem

Hi,

My firen bought and leone with ea82t engine. Car has been in a barn for last 6 years and when i started to repair it i changed, sparkplug wires, sparkplugs, fuelfilter, airfilter, oilfilter and engine oils.

Now the problem is that the car wont go trough "katsastus" (in Finland we have to take every year our cars to inspection that they are road legal) because it has too high CO in emission test. Limit is 3.5ParticlesPerMillion and now its like 8ppm :grin:

And when i drive with car and accelerate on 2nd gear and rpm is like 5000 and then it just twitches and you almost break your neck, then it slows down and accelerates normally.

I test drived another leone with same engine and it accelerates much faster than this one im repairing.

Sorry for my bad english :)

o2 sensor. my 4runner bucked really bad and ran very rich because of a bad o2 sensor. it was giving me 2 codes from the check engine light "too rich" and "too lean" which a bad o2 will send at the same time and cause the car to buck

Make sure that the sensor wire isn't melted against the exhaust. Most of the aftermarket replacement ones have way too long of a wire and it migrates towards the hot exhaust over time. On mine, I just clipped out the melted portion and used a solder-sleeve connector to put it back together. I still had some excess wire, so I zip tied that out of the way.

Also check the intake boot, and the pcv lines and fittings. If any of these are cracked and loose, it can cause false readings from the MAF sensor, and the computer won't know what to do.

You didnt mention if you flushed the fuel tank. Im not sure if this is your first couple of drives, or what, but if you are trying to run on 6 year old fuel... Not likely but a thought. If you did run on it, that new fuel filter is probably plugged. Also, you might check the inlet screen on the fuel pump for booggies and chunks. You did not give any details on the "idling problem".

As stated befor you need to check your pcv system, and all the vac. hoses.

You might check the MAF itself.

I changed the fuel to new. Today i welded half of the floor and driver side wheel arches from inside and checked all the hoses after MAF. What is that big round cylinder shaped thing in front of right fronlamp? And what is the thing that is near driver side damper and hood hinge.

CO did go lower when i removed air filter box and sprayd fine mist of water to turbo intake hose.

I emptied the whole fueltank and replaced it with 70% of pure alcohol and 30% of fuel and it did go trought emission test. I think the piston rings are gone because when i open the motor oil filling tube it smells like fuel and the oils are now 10miles old :lol:

Gotta take the engine off and rebuild it and put bigger turbo, megasquirt, front mount intercooler, higher compression and custom intake&exhaust manifolds :P

It lacks much of power, my own peugeot 205 1.9turbodiesel is twice as fast to 0-160kmh :grin:

Check your MAF sensor. as for the test procedures it all depends on the maf that you have. My car i belive has a bad maf, but I CANT FIND A DVOM at the moment :mad:. and just to be sure, you did change your fuel filter? before you go through the trouble of megasqurting and rebulding, you will want to have a test subject in good health, so try to figure this thing out.

Okay ill test it, what is DVOM? Can i measure resistance between different the maf pins? I got autodata on my computer but it doesnt know anything, it had even firing order wrong but this forum saved me :P

Edited by soukka

DVOM = Digital Volt Ohm Meter (also more commonly known as DVM = Digital Volt Meter).

The model year of your Leone is important to know, as the 1985 and 1986 Leones used different engine management (MAF and distributor types) then do the 1987 and later models. The 1987 and newer MAFs used a "hotwire" system that might need cleaning with an aerosol MAF Cleaner.

Your English is excellent compared to my Finnish! :grin:

Aah dvom, now i know. I thought that its some sort of expensive and old subaru tester :grin:

Its 1988 model and it has that hotwire meter. Whats that screw on the meter? It spins and spins like the thread is gone.

Btw, engine check light doesnt light up when the car is running.

Gotta check on monday are the piston rings fine, i think they are gone because it smells fuel when i open the engine oil filler cap. Gotta do compression test also.

Btw, how much is 0-60mph time on 1.8t leone? I think its like 10-12sec now.

And finally what is that cylinder shaped thing on the hose between maf and turbo? Some sorta resonance chamber?

Gotta check on monday are the piston rings fine, i think they are gone because it smells fuel when i open the engine oil filler cap. Gotta do compression test also...

Your pictures showed oil/grime in the intake tract. It is possible that your PCV (Positive Ventilation System) is not working correctly. (I am assuming that your Finnish vehicle is equipped similarly to US vehicles; please correct me if I am wrong.) This could cause improper removal of combustion blowby gasses, and can also cause excessive amounts of oil to enter the intake tract. It is common for the vent connections on the cam covers to become narrowed with deposits or otherwise restricted, and the PCV valve itself can be too dirty to function properly.

...Btw, how much is 0-60mph time on 1.8t leone? I think its like 10-12sec now....

I would not expect much greater acceleration. The Leone is not a fast car.

...And finally what is that cylinder shaped thing on the hose between maf and turbo? Some sorta resonance chamber?

The small cylinder (4-5cm diameter, 10-12cm length) is just to cover a connection used for dealer tuning/emissions testing; if I recall correctly, it is used for propane enrichment to correctly set the idle.

• 4 months later...
if a sensor(maf, o2,) is reading incorrectly, It could be dumping fuel on the cylinders which would cause poor running, rich conditions. This could cause a number of problems like gas in the oil, high CO emissions and catalytic converter failure.

It doesnt have cat. Not required in finland because the car is so old. And doesnt also have o2 sensor.

Why doesnt it have an o2 sensor?

Don't you pay attention? :wink: 87+ EDM EA82T doesn't have a O2, mine doesn't either.

The screw on the hotwire maf is a set screw for emissions tuning I believe, but it's "tamper proof" which means you'll need a U shaped screwdriver to adust it. It is possible someone turned that up which is causing the engine run rich and thus not run properly.

You can also check TPS sensor position, see if it's halfway in it's adjustment, if it's way forward or backwards it will cause the car run terrible.

• 2 weeks later...