Ultimate Subaru Message Board

These brakes have been poor to ok at best on this car since new

Disc front and drum rear

Now 220K on car and the brakes are grinding so it's time for rotors etc.

Please give me some advice on where I should buy these parts -- I'm North of Houston.

What should my approximate cost be to buy these parts and put them on vs. taking to a shop? I realize that you don't know all the parts that I need.

Should I go to Napa or or?

-----------

I just left a local KWIK KAR shop to get my yearly inspection and I asked the guy what he'd charge to put on a CV axel and his quote was like $350::eek:

Then he said maybe I could find one for less and he'd put it on for $65 --I fould one for $55 so !!

I think if I showed up with new discs & pads he'd put those on as well - for a decent price

Sorry to ramble on -- Thought -- Advise

brakes = easy. if they aren't vibrating you might just need new pads. if they've eaten the rotors down, you'll need rotors and pads.

most likely your fronts are bad, do those first. rear drums are kind of annoying. not hard, but if you're afraid of stuff you might leave those to a pro.

get a used axle, store bought axles suck. if you're paying someone to do it, don't risk needing to do it again or causing damage. get a used Subaru axle, reboot yours (if they're still good), reboot a used Subaru axle. you can order one from a junk yard and have new boots installed on it. search here, there are tons of aftermarket axle problems. take it from someone who has seen brand new ones explode - it's not worth my time and i do my own work. i'd be more annoyed if i had to pay someone every time.

Are PBR out of Cali ok $20.95 each Auto Parts Warehouse --Online

Pads $27.95

Or should I just hit a local auto parts store???

------------

I have a torn steering rack boot -- They have one for like $15

-------------------

Constant Velocity Of Ocala Inc. Have CV axels for $55 --

Thanks for help in advance guys!!

Constant Velocity Of Ocala Inc. Have CV axels for $55 --
personally i'd leave the current broken boot axle on there for another year or two and ignore the noise before putting a craptastic aftermarket axle on there. the old, broken boot subaru axles will more often than not out last new store boughts. they are that bad, i'm not exagerrating.

actually, fairly certain i've seen bad reviews about the ocala joint you mentioned.

Ok -- wow

Let's talk about brakes then -- they are real bad

Buy the parts from ? __________

I think I'll start with the front and worry about the rear later

-----------------

What about struts -- The original ones are still on

Buy them from ? ____________

Thanks Again...:)

i'd just get brakes from any auto parts store. i don't want to make a suggestion because if this turns into a "this is my favorite brake pad" thread, it will go on for eons. the cheapo pads i've had good luck with on subaru's, bad luck on other vehicles - meaning the just wear out really quick. i usually recommend middle of the road or higher end pads rather than the cheap ones. you can search online or here about opinions on ceramics and metal pads to make that choice.

if they are grinding and getting into the rotor, it should be replaced. that being said, if they aren't vibrating (warped) you can pad slap even a horribly eaten up rotor. i don't recommend it, it's going to eat up your pads quicker, but they will work.

as for struts, don't replace them until they are bad. you'll hear popping sounds on hard bumps/terrain when they fail/loose their charge.

the easiest way to change struts is to get used low mileage complete assemblies. otherwise you'll need a strut coil spring compressor and trust yourself to use it right. simpler to buy a new/low mileage complete strut/spring complete assembly that doesn't require any assembly. if you do that struts are really easy to replace. 3 nuts up top and two bolts at the botttom. just need some tips on maintain the camber bolt position.

I did the front brakes -- new rotors & pads total clean up & lube -- awesome

Ordered the front drive axel -- I need both boots for the steering rack -- should I just order those on-line or??

Concerning timing belt, seal kit and water pump -- should I get all of that directly with Subie or???

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

I will caution you about using non-oem steering boots. A previous owner replaced a boot on my Impreza with a non-OEM boot, and it was just a tad too short so when you were at full lock with the steering, the boot was being stressed/stretched. Eventually, the boot tore, and I got to replace it.