Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quelle disastre. 88 GL-10 turbo toast?

I think I cooked my Subaru's engine pulling a trailer over a 4000 ft pass. It seems to be sucking coolant into the engine. It won't drive for more than about a minute without the temperature gauge going into red. Occasionally the exhaust will blow white smoke/steam. The oil filler cap is missing, and it melted through four layers of aluminum foil I had formed a temporary replacement from. It smokes white steam through there and through the oil dipstick tube.

I'm suspecting a blown head gasket. I'm stuck in Ludlow, California in the Mojave desert, sunburned, stinking of burnt coolant, trying not to kick myself too hard. There are two service stations in town, neither works on cars. There may be some kind of repair service available, capabilities unknown, mainly helping motorists install belts and such. Crazy ideas go through my head. I have all my tools with me, but no oil pan, not really a place to work, though that might be possible.

Should I dump my toasted luxury turbo GL-10 with all the conveniences and walk away? Should I get it towed to Barstow, 50 miles away, and fixed if possible, at horrendous expense? Should I languish here in Ludlow, get parts shipped in by FedEx and attempt to fix it myself? Would the block be ok/warped/cracked, how can one tell? Heads need machining? ... Then what?

Anyone want to buy a toasty but otherwise lovely GL-10?

Edited by M45

I think I cooked my Subaru's engine pulling a trailer over a 4000 ft pass. It seems to be sucking coolant into the engine. It won't drive for more than about a minute without the temperature gauge going into red. Occasionally the exhaust will blow white smoke/steam. The oil filler cap is missing, and it melted through four layers of aluminum foil I had formed a temporary replacement from. It smokes white steam through there and through the oil dipstick tube.

I'm suspecting a blown head gasket. I'm stuck in Ludlow, California in the Mojave desert, sunburned, stinking of burnt coolant, trying not to kick myself too hard. There are two service stations in town, neither works on cars. There may be some kind of repair service available, capabilities unknown, mainly helping motorists install belts and such. Crazy ideas go through my head. I have all my tools with me, but no oil pan, not really a place to work, though that might be possible.

Should I dump my toasted luxury turbo GL-10 with all the conveniences and walk away? Should I get it towed to Barstow, 50 miles away, and fixed if possible, at horrendous expense? Should I languish here in Ludlow, get parts shipped in by FedEx and attempt to fix it myself? Would the block be ok/warped/cracked, how can one tell? Heads need machining? ... Then what?

Anyone want to buy a toasty but otherwise lovely GL-10?

I'm posting this on an unsecured network, so post here (so I can read with better connection soon) but best for serious callers to call my handheld 650 plus 776 plus 8456 at your convenience. (What is the time period for editing posts before they turn in to petrified posts?) I may try to hitch a ride into Barstow tomorrow to see about buying some vehicle on a crisis basis.

I would head to Barstow, more places there to maybe get parts.

I know theres a Subaru Dealership in San Berdo, but I cant remember the name of it. To fix that engine correctly, you will need to have the heads milled flat again....as I'm sure they be warped now.

Unless you can find another set to get you by.

If another board member (S'ko) chimes in, he might be of some assistance.

I think there might be another member or 2 in that general area, but I'm not positive without doing a search.

That does suck, but not entirely unexpected with an EA82T. Sorry for your plight my friend. Rather than dumping a bunch of money into fixing it you might consider looking for an early 90's legacy - similar power without the turbo. Especially if you are going to be pulling trailers with whatever rig you end up with after this disaster.

I know it's not a lot of help to tell you this, but that's a really poor rig to be towing with given the fragility of that engine model. FWIW if I had the parts and I was in your neck of the woods I would come help.... I know what it's like to learn the hard way.

GD

Roadside EJ swap :banana::banana:

Well, not really. There is a guy in UT selling a pair of turbo heads, which you will most likely need. The chances you blew a headgasket without killing at least one head are somewhere between slim and none.

I'd keep it though, unless you can get a few hundred out of it. I know you just did the same trans repair I did a few months back, now mine's getting an EJ22 for similar reasons (major overheat).

The car is for sale. Please see the For Sale forum and make an offer, or call me (clue quoted in second message, first reply). I am travelling and only have hours to dispose of the car. I have also posted a question in the Off-Topic about dealing with title when the car can't be smogged; awaiting moderator approval.