Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm thinking about upgrading the front brakes on a 95 lego w/ 14" wheels to the brakes from an outback w/ 15" wheels (plus the wheels and the struts of course):

i know the caliper/bracket will bolt right on and the rotor is a no brainer, but do i have to change the 'backing plate' ? anything else i'm missing?

is the stopping power that much better?

i have always wondered why there are different brakes in the first place, the outback isn't that much heavier or that much faster than the lego, why bigger brakes? just to fill up the space behind the wheel?

just thinking....

I think it will just bolt on. I bought the stuff to do this on my '96 but never did it. It sounds like you are upgrading the wheels too, which you probably would need to do of course to clear the larger brakes. The rear should also be upgraded, otherwise it is going to have much more front bias than it already has.

Why are the Outback brakes larger? I think it is because the wheels and tires are larger diameter, so larger diameter rotors gives it more mechanical advantage in stopping. I run Outback wheels on my '96 legacy in the winter, and the brakes still work fine, but you kind of realy have to step on them moreso than with the smaller tires.

are you getting the 2pot calipers ? i switched to those on my 97 and have enjoyed the slight improvement, as for the whole bigger tire thing, never heard of that before... the overall diameter between the 14 steelies" and the 16" snowflakes is VERY close (with tires) and i ran for a good bit with the stock 1 pot calipers and the GT wheels and never noticed a difference in braking ability, if anything the larger alloy wheels weighed less and had less rotational mass so it should have been better braking with just the wheel change imho correct me if

Ah ok that's possible I guess I was just thinking that because I have rear drums but it's a brighton. Are the master cylinders different? Seems like there would be some factor for proportion.

the masters appear to be the same. there is a difference in the 'check valve' that leads to the rears. the outbacks appear to be larger.

the bias, MC, and proportioning makes zero/little real world difference. the folks on NASIOC argue and complain about it all the time. if you're interested in that discussion or what it means - check out their 543 pages of arguing about it over there, it's already been "covered".

meanwhile, others are doing it with great results. in the real world - dual pot calipers are nice and upgrading to rear drums is nice as well.

i've done it - all you need is brackets, rotors and calipers. it's really easy to upgrade front brakes. the only annoying part of the whole deal is bleeding, everything else is simple.

For the fronts I don't think you need backing plates or anything, just the calipers and brackets and if rotor diameter is different then the rotors.

543 pages :eek: hehe I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the info. I imagine if the vehicle has abs risk is even lower since the front wheels can't lock up then anyway.

How about for a '96 brighton, do you think it would be okay to leave the rear drums (just a bit more involved than I want to get right now), but put on the dual pot front calipers (since I already have them and that's a quick swap)? Thanks.

For the fronts I don't think you need backing plates or anything, just the calipers and brackets and if rotor diameter is different then the rotors.
i just clarified that - no backing plates for the fronts. rotors, calipers, and brackets only.

there are *some* scenarios where calipers will swap to various brackets or you can swap pins...but that gets confusing and brackets are just scrap anyway, so they're cheap. easier and simpler to just get the entire set up from one vehicle.

How about for a '96 brighton, do you think it would be okay to leave the rear drums (just a bit more involved than I want to get right now), but put on the dual pot front calipers (since I already have them and that's a quick swap)?
oh yeah, definitely. i've done it. my OBS has the same brakes as your 96 brighton - front singles, and drum rears. i upgraded to duals up front and they are nice even leaving the rears as drum. i read a lot about it before doing it just to make sure, that's how i came across the nasioc thread. i read of a bunch of other folks that did it and loved it as well.

543 pages :eek: hehe I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the info.
exaggerating, although it is insanely lengthy.

woah - fire engine red. yeah, you can't use those, you better send them to me. just kidding, i have three sets in boxes ready to go.

slap those dual pot calipers up front and you're golden, really easy swap.

the rears are much more annoying. you'd need backing plates or an entire hub assembly and parking brake cables. though i've heard they can be made to work.

Edited by grossgary